Windows 10 Have they fixed the Windows 10 AU issues?

Aha!! So, Rich, you didn't have a successful W10 AU upgrade through Windows Update--just as I thought!:bigtongue: OldGuy then has upped his status to being the ONLY one on the planet to have this work for him! :iee:

@oldguy: It's interesting to note that your computer is an i7 CPU either 5th generation or 6th generation. That means it's a "Modern Era" computer, or one made in 2009 or later (W7-era) machine. Your i7 is then a Broomfield or Broadwell-E (2008-2016); and all of those CPU chips do very well with the W10 installs as they are very high-end processors.

P.S. Just finished doing a Clean Install AU update on my Sony laptop to get it to v1607, and the Quick Assist worked great! :applaud: I'm passing that tip with your video along to my other Tech friends. Thanks again for posting that.

BBJ :brew: :usa:

I believe he has a 5th gen Haswell Refresh 4790k running on a Z97 board, and yes they do well with Windows 10, as does anything (most anything) from 3rd gen onwards (Ivy Bridge). Even 1st gen I5 860~I7 920, and 2nd gen 2500k2600k/2700k are doing fine with Windows 10 for the most part -- specific motherboard compliancy depending.

I believe he has a 5th gen Haswell Refresh 4790k running on a Z97 board, and yes they do well with Windows 10, as does anything (most anything) from 3rd gen onwards (Ivy Bridge). Even 1st gen I5 860~I7 920, and 2nd gen 2500k2600k/2700k are doing fine with Windows 10 for the most part -- specific motherboard compliancy depending.

True, but my Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz is my Insider test machine. Besides running Insider, it has Office installed, MS Accounting (using SQL 2005 which is not supported), IIS 8 web server and SQL 2014 for local web site hosting/testing. The graphic card is an old NVidia 9800 GT I have had a couple of issues related to the Insider releases, but nothing dramatic. The worst was having to refresh the user to get the Start Menu working. But I simply deleted and recreated the user and all is well.

I agree that even older systems are having challenges but that hasn't been different than any other major OS release. Older board and component manufacturers only release BIOS and driver updates for a certain amount of time. If they continued to release updated stuff to make their old component run newer OS version, they would be cutting into their own new sales.

More to the point of the thread's question, my main I7 desktop, my I5 Lenovo laptop, my wife's I5 ASUS laptop and my Toshiba tablet all updated a couple of days ago with the latest cumulative update (KB3194496). Each finished just fine with no perceivable problems. So, have they 'fixed the AU issues'?

From my perspective, yes.

Hi again,
I'm not so sure from the results with my several machines.:andwhat: It certainly requires a cleanly running computer in order to get the AU update process to run to completion, with or without some minor issues that need to be manually tweaked. My Sony laptop refused to work with the AU on multiple attempts; have to look up that CPU spec later for you. That required a Clean Install as I had mentioned; no workarounds there.:down: The 2 failed attempts on the AU on my desktop PC required a complete Macrium image restore to solve it; along with multiple tweaks to get it going.:headache:

We certainly are capable of doing this, but none of my Clients are and certainly a very select few of knowledgeable users here on WF.
I think we're 3 months away or more for me to be convinced. Thanks for posting that information, that's helpful for us to have when we are troubleshooting other user's problems with the AU.:up: The other problem we have here is that most of the users we ask to post detailed specs about their machines refuse to do it; even when asked 2 or 3 times by 2 or 3 different volunteers including the forum Admins and even the Board Admin.o_O That leaves us to guess what hardware they are using, what CPU or GPU chips they have, RAM specs, HDD specs, etc.:rolleyes: Most of the home users posting here seem to feel that broken or faulty hardware has no bearing on how their computers behave or misbehave more to the point. When asked for specs, some get defensive and try to tell us that the problem is with their software, not their hardware, so they want a quick 5 min. software fix for everything including the AU foul ups we have been seeing.:hide:

Cheers!
Glad you're W10 machines are humming along smoothly now.:cheerful:
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi;
We would certainly need full hardware specs on your computer, type (desktop or laptop), Make/Model of computer, Make/Model of your GPU card, PSU, etc. I just finished writing a detailed post on how to get this resolved *if possible* here: Windows 10 - PC Automatic Update Destroyed Even After A Restore..

Since you posted in this thread, you can see that there are varying opinions on whether the AU has been fixed or not.:andwhat: Keep in mind that there are over 8 million people testing W10; and so far only 3 people here have been able to get that AU update to work on their computers without issue, and I am certainly NOT included in that group! :noway:

Finally, make sure you give us at the very least your GPU card or chip Make/Model, otherwise you might as well phone up your Doctor and ask him for a prescription to make you feel better without him ever seeing you in his office to examine you or run tests.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I'm using Laptop with these spesification :

CPU : AMD APU A6-6310 QuadCore 1,8 Ghz up to 2,4 Ghz
GPU : AMD Radeon R4 6310 1 GB
RAM : 6 GB DDR3

Before I updated to AU version, My Dedicated Video RAM is 1024 MB, after update, my Dedicated Video RAM is decreased to 512 MB. I don't know what happens. Help me please

Thank You

Thanks for posting your specs back. You can attempt to "rollback" your Windows to a time prior to the AU update coming into your computer. Make sure that you backup all your personal data from your libraries folders to external media prior to do this. If your dedicated Video RAM returns to 1024MB, it's likely that the AU update is putting in an older driver to your laptop video card. If you want to stay at the older pre-AU version of W10 (v1511), then you'll need to read the link in the post I gave you above to keep your old video card driver static, and disallow any further updates to W10 via the WUDO settings.

If you want to keep the AU update version of W10 on your laptop (v1607), I suggest you visit the laptop maker's support site and download the latest version of your video card driver and install it after removing the original driver that's there in your Device Manager.

Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for your reply,
I have downloaded latest vga driver for my laptop but my dedicated video ram don't increased, i don't know whats wrong in my W10 AU. Maybe I will try to rollback to previous version of W10 to compare with my W10 AU.

I have try to rollback to my previous version of my windows but it doesn't change anything. i have found some failed uodate in my windows update history, i don't know why. can you help me to fix this ? maybe it can bring my dedicated video ram back. thanks

At this point, then, you'll need to do 3 things:
1.) Make certain that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS.

2.) Next, begin testing your hardware, per this
Advanced Troubleshooting Guide:
https://windowsforum.com/threads/unclickable-task-bar.222292/#post-676594. It sounds like you have a failed hardware component such as a bad RAM stick(s) or a bad Hard Drive. If your hard drive is older than 2 years old; it should be replaced even if it passes testing. Laptop hard drives are only designed to last 2 years in laptops of all brands.

3.) Attempt to apply the software repair tools as in my Advanced Troubleshooting Guide here:
Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.
There is an embedded link for software repairs contained in this Guide, it's quite long 6-8 pages so I suggest you print it out on another working computer and keep in front of you while you are attempting to fix your laptop. For your convenience, here's a direct link to the software repair portion of the Guide: Sound Problems.

Following these very explicit and specific directions in the order they are listed will produce a fix to your problem about 85% of the time! :up:
Of course you do need to be patient as following all of these procedures can take 1-2 weeks for a person with some computer skills, longer such as 3-4 weeks for a novice. This problem you have is tricky to solve yourself, and there's no easy button (a la Staples Easy button) you can hit to fix it! :noway: Most likely you have a failed Windows configuration due to a corrupted registry, or a failed hardware component as already mentioned. Since you still haven't provided the Make of your laptop, I can't tell you if the brand you have is endemic to failures or not but if you post back that information I can tell you. You may wish to just backup your data and go buy another laptop if you aren't willing to put in the time to follow these procedures. It's your laptop, so it's up to you!

Post back if you get stuck along the way. We are here 24x7x365.

<<<BBJ>>> :bee:

Back