Windows 7 Have to relogon every morning

KevinSpy

Have a Win7 machine on a Win2003 Server and have to relogon every morning. This morning I had to restart the whole thing. My XP machines don't have this problem.

I have included two snips of the error messages I get when I try to get to the server.

This is very annoying. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 480
Welcome to window7forum,

Have a Win7 machine on a Win2003 Server and have to relogon every morning. This morning I had to restart the whole thing.

Does the networking get fine after you reboot/relogon ? There may be a networking setting within your virtual pc software that you need to adjust. Just for example, MS virtual pc > networking > specify a folder to share > checkbox "Always share this folder" (or share it just this session) etc.

Do you have the adapter set to your physical network card (not internal or NAT) on the Win7 virtual machine?

Where do I go to check this, on the Win7 machine or the server? Where exactly is it? What file should I be looking for?

Thanks for your response.

Welcome to window7forum,

Does the networking get fine after you reboot/relogon ? There may be a networking setting within your virtual pc software that you need to adjust. Just for example, MS virtual pc > networking > specify a folder to share > checkbox "Always share this folder" (or share it just this session) etc.

Do you have the adapter set to your physical network card (not internal or NAT) on the Win7 virtual machine?

You should check this in your virtual machine software, like vmware, virtual box, ms virtual pc, etc.

Could be related to the problem with XP where the network discovery needs some utility installed on the Win 2003 machine to work with the Win 7 network discovery. I will have to look up the exact phrase, LLTD I believe. I do not know if this is necessary in Win 2003 server, but you might check.

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

If not that, have you tried modifying some of the settings in Network and Sharing? Do you show the network as Public or Private..?

Where do I look for the network and sharing? On the server or the Win7 machine? Don't have problems with the XP machine just the Win7 machine.

Could be related to the problem with XP where the network discovery needs some utility installed on the Win 2003 machine to work with the Win 7 network discovery. I will have to look up the exact phrase, LLTD I believe. I do not know if this is necessary in Win 2003 server, but you might check.

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

If not that, have you tried modifying some of the settings in Network and Sharing? Do you show the network as Public or Private..?

To open the Network and Sharing Center, right click on the network icon in the system and open. There are many settings there about how the network is handled. Go through some of those to see if any any settings might be relevant, like the how to handle network connections under advanced sharing settings.

If you click on the see a full map, it will show all the devices in your network. Check the bottom of the page to see if any are kept separate and not included.

I do not know why you have to sign in, but I don't run such a system.

Log on every morning??

My Win7 box is connected to a WinServer 2003. Every morning I have to log off and log back on. This box cannot see the server. This is very annoying. Where do I go to solve this? Attached are the error messages.

I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 439
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 461
KevinSpy:
Have a look at your power settings on the Windows 7 machine.
Open device manager
Expand network adapters
Select and then right click the adapter you are using for the problem connection and choose properties
Select the power management tab and uncheck the box that says something like Allow computer to turn off this device to save power.
Also you are going to have to investigate any power saving options in the control panel power applet that may be impacting the connection overnight, like sleep, hibernate, turn off this or that. Networking is about high availability and doesn't perform up to expectations when power saving schemes interfere

Well, that didn't work. I changed some other things under power management and will have to wait to see what happens tonight.

KevinSpy:
Have a look at your power settings on the Windows 7 machine.
Open device manager
Expand network adapters
Select and then right click the adapter you are using for the problem connection and choose properties
Select the power management tab and uncheck the box that says something like Allow computer to turn off this device to save power.
Also you are going to have to investigate any power saving options in the control panel power applet that may be impacting the connection overnight, like sleep, hibernate, turn off this or that. Networking is about high availability and doesn't perform up to expectations when power saving schemes interfere

Would it have anything to do with the Windows Firewall and security?

Would it have anything to do with the Windows Firewall and security?

I wouldn't think so, if the issue was truly firewall or security related, then I would expect it to be more pervasive. I suspect that something is happening due to an extended period of inactivity, that is resulting in your access token failing. No sure if it is simply expiring, or being terminated due to some other reason, like session limits, or other time outs. Is this a 2003 AD domain controller? Do you have any login hours defined for users? Are there any other network computers having similar issues. I assume that there is nothing happening on the server at night that is forcing the existing sessions to be reset. Check the event view on both the Win7 machine and the 2k3 server, and see if there is anything that may give you a clue. Try setting a screen saver and disabling all power management features on the Windows 7 machine

Back
Top Bottom