Windows 10 Having issues with Beta Video Drivers.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm having problems with the beta Nvidia video drivers.
I've found that I can't turn on Anti-Aliasing and Stereo at the same time.

I first noticed this when setting up the stereo after updating to the latest drivers.
It worked fine until I turned Anti-aliasing on, but as soon as I did that the screen froze and I had to log out to get the window to close.

When I tried it in a game I got the same thing.

It ran fine in stereo until I turned on Anti-aliasing then the game froze and I couldn't exit without logging out.
I wasn't able to close the game with Task Manager.

In addition I have had problems with the video resuming when the computer has been sleeping.
The monitor stays black with no video signal detected.

I have to reboot to get the video signal back, then after the reboot my network adapter wasn't detected, (didn't even show in Device Manager) so I had to reboot again.

One the third try everything was working.
I haven't had any problems with the network adapter in earlier versions.

I can live without Anti-aliasing, or Stereo but if it keeps making me reboot when I waken my computer I may roll back to the default driver.

Mike

You may need to be more specific. Why is your stereo related to the Nvidia driver. Are you using an HDMI audio output?

Is anti-aliasing the term you want, you don't mean SLI?

Hi

I'm having problems with the beta Nvidia video drivers.
I've found that I can't turn on Anti-Aliasing and Stereo at the same time.

I first noticed this when setting up the stereo after updating to the latest drivers.
It worked fine until I turned Anti-aliasing on, but as soon as I did that the screen froze and I had to log out to get the window to close.

When I tried it in a game I got the same thing.

It ran fine in stereo until I turned on Anti-aliasing then the game froze and I couldn't exit without logging out.
I wasn't able to close the game with Task Manager.

In addition I have had problems with the video resuming when the computer has been sleeping.
The monitor stays black with no video signal detected.

I have to reboot to get the video signal back, then after the reboot my network adapter wasn't detected, (didn't even show in Device Manager) so I had to reboot again.

One the third try everything was working.
I haven't had any problems with the network adapter in earlier versions.

I can live without Anti-aliasing, or Stereo but if it keeps making me reboot when I waken my computer I may roll back to the default driver.

Mike

>>>Hi Mike;
Interesting you got 10074; I haven't been on much this week. Though I did get the update to 10061 on 1 of my 2 10049-builds. Cortana seems to be working much better! =D What was the model of your nVidia Card? I'm wondering, did you report that to nVidia on their support or online community forum about their Beta driver misbehaving? Might be worth it, especially, if their programmers are already working on rewriting existing video card drivers (hence their Beta release). It might get the Beta drivers working for your video card faster, than you waiting for Win10 RTM to come out. If their Beta programmers know there are issues with the Beta driver for your model video card, they might fix them for you sooner!! I'm sure they are rewriting code for hundreds of their older video cards/embedded video chips *Win8.1 and older* to be compliant with Win10 RTM. They'll want as many of the recent models of their products as possible to perform properly for people upgrading existing computers to Win10 at release time.

Good input here.

Talk to you soon.

Cheers! Marc

Hi

Sorry about not being clear.
I'm talking about Stereo 3D video, or Nvidia 3D Vision.
I'm running an Nvidia Geforce 680 GTS Video card, it was working fine until I installed the new Windows 10 drivers for it.

Anti-aliasing is a process the video drivers use to smooth the edges objects in the image, so that things don't have hard edges or look like the are cut out and pasted on.

I normally use this but with the new drivers I can't use in in conjunction with 3D Vision (I play most of my games in 3D at least part of the time) without crashing my computer.

I will report it to Nvidia though I've found them to be pretty unresponsive in the past, but maybe they'll look at what I say.

Mike

I have never actually messed with any of those types of settings. Most of them are currently set for the application to decide. If you are actually running a 3D system, I have no experience. But these days, the Video drivers have probably been stressed more than any other part of the system. I would think, the higher resolution screens may not need anti-aliasing as much as before.

Nvidia does have a comment form online for Windows 10.

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=1d8700ce58c496be0f9e3a6d9648b209

Thanks I filled out the form.

PS, I reported the issue on the Nvidia forum...

They asked why was I complaining about having problems running a beta driver on a beta operating system.

"You mean there's an issue with Beta driver while using a Beta OS>?!? ;)"

I told them to go screw themselves.

Mike

Last edited:
My systems seem to have calmed down after the update we got Tuesday. No Video Driver not responding or Blue Screens for two days.

Hi

When I reinstalled Windows didn't install the Stereo 3D drivers for my card.
When I went to Nvidia they now have later drivers with a higher number.

I downloaded them, but haven't installed them yet.

Mike

Hi

I installed the newer drivers, I still can't run 3D and Anti-aliasing at the same time.

Mike

Mike haven't you had video and sound card issues since the first release of Windows 10? I see it on other forums too. MS better get busy fixing bugs instead of adding dubious things if they want a good July release.
Joe

Hi

I've had issues with the sound drivers since Windows 8.1.
Before that they always worked fine, but it had to do with the Sound Blaster drivers.
Only the old ones that came with the card worked and Windows kept updating them.

I got around that by uninstalling my Sound Blaster card and using the onboard audio.

I didn't have problems with video until Windows 10 Build 10074.
Before that I could run both anti-aliasing and 3D at the same time, but it doesn't work with either of the Windows 10 beta drivers from Nvidia.

This is probably more an Nvidia problems then it is Microsoft's.

But you're right, it seems every new build introduces more problems.

One of these days things should start getting better.

Mike

Back