Windows 7 HDMI AMD Crossfire enquiry.

Daryl Wong

Hello,

I've recently bought a new Samsung 22-inch LED with HDMI support and I'm wondering how do I utilize it's HDMI function. The problem is this:

1) I'm using an AMD A8-3580 APU which has onboard graphics of AMD Radeon 6550D and it is
mounted on a motherboard that has no HDMI outputs.

2) I have a second graphic card AMD Radeon HD6670 and that makes it a 6650D2 and I'm
running Crossfire/Dual-Graphics on it and the 2nd GPU has a HDMI port.

3) To enable dual-graphics, you have to enter the system's BIOS and select the primary
display driver to the onboard graphics which is 6550D with no HDMI port.

How can I use HDMI and dual-graphics in this situation?

2nd Question:

My 22-inch monitor recommends me to use 1920x1080 resolution but when I choose that resolution, the desktop doesn't fit into the screen and I can't view my start menu and items on the desktop. How can I make this work? :confused:

Hello,

I've recently bought a new Samsung 22-inch LED with HDMI support and I'm wondering how do I utilize it's HDMI function. The problem is this:

1) I'm using an AMD A8-3580 APU which has onboard graphics of AMD Radeon 6550D and it is
mounted on a motherboard that has no HDMI outputs.

2) I have a second graphic card AMD Radeon HD6670 and that makes it a 6650D2 and I'm
running Crossfire/Dual-Graphics on it and the 2nd GPU has a HDMI port.

3) To enable dual-graphics, you have to enter the system's BIOS and select the primary
display driver to the onboard graphics which is 6550D with no HDMI port.

How can I use HDMI and dual-graphics in this situation?

2nd Question:

My 22-inch monitor recommends me to use 1920x1080 resolution but when I choose that resolution, the desktop doesn't fit into the screen and I can't view my start menu and items on the desktop. How can I make this work? :confused:

Hi,

I don't think you'll get HDMI to work as you get your signal from the default gpu unit which for you unfortunately doesn't have the HDMI port.

Secondly when 1080p mode open up the AMD Catalyst control centre and use the settings found under displays to set your screen to the correct size.

Hi thanks for the reply,

Currently I've set my primary display driver as the AMD Radeon HD6670 which has the HDMI port and I've plugged the HDMI cable in it and all is working well except that I can't enable dual-graphics using the AMD Catalyst. So either I choose true HD or dual-graphics w/o HDMI.
I found a possible solution to this matter, can I get a DVI to HDMI converter to make this work?

You can buy a DVI to HDMI converter sure but will the signal be true HD, I doubt it..

I read on some websites that the video signal between the two is the same and the DVI converter would just be a bridge to link it together and there would be no loss in quality. So that means problem solved then?

I'm still wondering about another thing, I've had some BSOD's recently and one of your guys John Coronna from the BSOD team in Windows 7 forums asked me to get rid of AMD Catalyst as it may cause BSOD's. Hence, how do I enable dual-graphics without it?

I'd certainly try it (the converter). Each onboard solution is slightly different depending on the manufacturers requirements so it's possible you might be right.

Are you sure John said remove the CCC? If your still getting bsod go back to the thread in question and reported this to John. He's extremely good at what he does.

Yeah, programs like AODriver and some other AMD components are known to cause BSOD's that's what he said. So I did a drivers only installation without the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. I asked him that if in that case how am I gonna enable dual-graphics? He told me that he's not an expert in these and advised me to post on the graphics section and here I am. Can dual-graphics work without AMD Catalyst? Here's a link to my thread about BSOD's http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/84777-frequent-blue-screen-crash-problem.html

Last edited:
Hi,

were you using the CCC to overclock your card? If so try using something else like Rivatuner. That way you'll avoid using the AODriver contained within CCC.
Oh and you do need the CCC for dual card set-up so you can enable or disable the setting. Don't forget to download the latest app profile: AMD Catalyst Application Profile 12.8 CAP3 download

Nope, I never overclock my GPU and I uninstalled AODDriver using the device manager. Got the latest application profile yesterday and I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for the help kemical!

Best of luck and please do post again if you find any issues.. :)

Back