Windows 7 HDMI with windows 7 - no 5.1 support?

Shai

Hi,

A few details first:
* I'm using build 7000
* I have a dell XPS m1530
* I like to move it move it O_o

Now I bought an AV yamaha receiver (with HDMI) and a 5.1 set of speakers.
I plugged the HDMI to the laptop and I cant get the 5.1 experience.
When I configure the HDMI to be the default sound device and i try to configure it.
It says that hdcp is not supported and that the max audio channels are 2.
Nothing I've done managed to change that.

help. please :\

Solution
It seems like you're facing an issue with getting the full 5.1 surround sound experience through your Yamaha AV receiver connected to your Dell XPS m1530 laptop via HDMI. The error message about HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) not being supported and the limitation to 2 audio channels can be frustrating. Let's troubleshoot this step by step:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check HDMI Cable and Ports:
- Ensure that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both your laptop and the Yamaha receiver.
- Try using a different HDMI cable or connecting to a different HDMI port on the receiver to rule out any cable or port issues.
2. Update Drivers:
- Make sure that your laptop's audio and graphics drivers are...
It seems like you're facing an issue with getting the full 5.1 surround sound experience through your Yamaha AV receiver connected to your Dell XPS m1530 laptop via HDMI. The error message about HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) not being supported and the limitation to 2 audio channels can be frustrating. Let's troubleshoot this step by step:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check HDMI Cable and Ports:
- Ensure that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both your laptop and the Yamaha receiver.
- Try using a different HDMI cable or connecting to a different HDMI port on the receiver to rule out any cable or port issues.
2. Update Drivers:
- Make sure that your laptop's audio and graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues.
3. Check Sound Settings:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices."
- Set the HDMI output (Yamaha receiver) as the default playback device. Right-click on it and select "Properties."
- In the "Advanced" tab, ensure that the default format is set to a format that supports 5.1 channels (e.g., Dolby Digital, DTS).
- Check if the "Exclusive Mode" options are enabled and if disabling them makes a difference.
4. Configure Sound Settings in Software:
- Some media players and applications might have their own audio settings. Check the audio configuration within the media player to ensure it is set to output 5.1 audio.
5. HDCP and Audio Channel Support:
- The error message about HDCP not being supported and the limitation to 2 audio channels could indicate a limitation in the HDMI connection between your laptop and the receiver. Some older laptops might not support HDCP over HDMI.
- Check if there are any BIOS or firmware updates for your laptop that could potentially resolve this issue.
6. Test on Another Device:
- To isolate the issue, try connecting your laptop to a different HDMI-enabled device (e.g., TV) to see if the 5.1 audio works without any issues. This can help determine if the problem lies with the laptop or the receiver.
7. Contact Support:
- If none of the above steps resolve the issue, reaching out to Dell support for assistance specific to your Dell XPS m1530 model could provide further insights and solutions.
Try these steps and let me know if you encounter any success or if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back