Windows 10 Help - Accidently deleted Google Chrome from Windows 10

silverman

Honorable Member
Two days ago I installed Windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop Installation went well. As I did an upgrade from Windows 7 I had a lot of surplus programmes many that were not required by Windows 10.

I have accidently I deleted “Google Chrome” as it had a very old installation date. I has completely deleted the Windows 10 version now and obviously need to re-install it. How do I do this please. It no longer seems to be an option.

Davehc, thanks for the suggestion, I did as you suggested, downloaded your link and it was saved in my download files. I clicked on it and accepted the installation of the programme installer. This was around 9pm yesterday, It was late so went to bed and this morning the computer had gone to sleep, and when I opened it up I still have the progress bar, this did not look any different to when it first started. I decided to close this and in doing so received a message (see attachment).
Should I have tried to do this via the "Store"? I can't see Google Chrome listed in it.
I very much suspect I have deleted an important file and created this problem myself. I only deleted Toshiba files some dated back to 2012.
Does Windows 10 have any built in programmes that will check the installation? I did an upgrade from windows 7, and was amazed that as far as I am aware all my setting had been picked up during the installation, all my emails accounts seemed to be fine. Can I download Windows 10 again, that may replace the missing files? I hope I don't have to start again and a clean install will give me loads of work (that will days a week or more).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Google Chrome view after all night running.JPG
    Google Chrome view after all night running.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 299
I don't think you have any missing files. Chrome is not a part of MS/Windows, but is a standalone bowser. When installing, you have to be sitting waiting for the prompts to set it up. Have you tried hitting "Resume"?

Yes I did resume the installation about 30min before going to bed last night, and the progress throughout the night was nil.

The snap shot I sent you was after leaving it all night taken this morning.

The files is still in my “download” area, its a 910Kg file

I thought Google Chrome was part of the Windows installation, should I just forget it?

Hi

The whole install process should not take longer then a few minutes if you have a good internet connection.

Google Chrome is not part of the Windows installation but it's the browser that I and many other people use instead of Windows Explorer.

If you wan't to get Chrome back, go to this web page and try it again.

Chrome Browser

Hang around while it's installing, I think that it will ask you some questions during the process, and let it complete without interrupting it.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your posting, I would have thought what you have said should have been what happened. I have only had Windows 10 for a few days and my experience of the download procedure is very poor. The initial installation of Windows 10 took well over two hours. During this period my screen was totally blank with hardly any indication that it was doing anything. As I have the Google Chrome downloaded in my download box I thought it would only take a matter of minutes to install. When I clicked on the downloaded file yesterday evening the installer asked if I agreed to it being installed and it installed an installer programme and started by showing a progress bar, (see my attached file above). Approx 9 hours later the progress bar did not change at all. As this process is only installing a file that's on my computer I can not understand what's going on.
I am going to try it again this evening (one eye on the TV & one on the computer) and see if it installs or not.
It seems that many of the actions in Windows 10 don't have the normal progress bars, so how can we possible know what if anything is happening.
Thanks again

Hi

It's not installing a file that's on your computer.
The file you downloaded only starts the process which includes downloading and installing the program in one operation.

You might check and see if it shows up in installed programs.
If it does tell it to uninstall it before you install it again.

I'd download the file again just to be sure that is wasn't corrupted some way the first time and try again.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Sorry for the delay, I have another issue that stopping me so will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks

Hi Mike, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Toshiba Notebook I installed Windows 10 on seems now to have a major problem. I am even now considering formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install. I was going to do this with the original upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I must have missed the selection option. I certainly did not see it. The (full) installation went reasonable well and all my mail settings worked together with several of my old programmes. The issue I had with Google Chrome and my attempts to install must have caused the whole thing to fail. I will have a look through the forum site to see what's the best way forward. I think I have some registry problems. I wanted to remove all the original Toshiba installation files as this computer has always has issues since new. but the Windows 10 did seem to sort out quite a few of them before it failed. With all the old Toshiba files remaining on the computer this is possibly why I am now having problems. I think!
Thank

Hi silverman, I just installed Windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop. You might want to go to Toshibas website and down load the drivers for your notebook before doing a clean install. You will need them with the clean install.

Sony, Thanks for the input, I have personally had nothing but problems with Toshiba Qosmio, I started with a X500-10T, then traded up Qosmio X500-116, but is was no better. My old A10 pro still works better them either of the Qosmios have had. I think they were far to elaborate, (No discontinued I see). I have had problem with Bluetooth, Face recognisation, going to sleep and unable to wake up with out a full reset, the eco systems, tempo, I had three Toshiba wireless mouses (should this be mice?), the list goes on.
After installing the Windows 10 noticed for the first I no longer had any problems with the screen saving and waking up the hard drives. Previously I had to always keep it connected to the mains.
As I have said before I intended to do a clean install (without the Toshiba software), but did not see this option when installing Windows 10. I think it's possible one of the old Toshiba files that is causing me the latest problems.
I have been advised to do a clean install and forget installing any of the Toshiba software and it should work better and faster.

I agree with skipping the software. What I meant was your drivers for wireless, lan and etc...I left the rest out.

Mike, about one min ago I did exactly what you suggested, and am currently reading it.
I do have a fully operational desktop PC beside my Notebook that I am trying to get Windows 10 on so am using this to respond to all the forum questions/answers.
I have used "Belarc Advisor" to print out all the licence numbers, I hope I will be able to reuse this for the second attempt at installing Windows 10, a clean install this time, (I think at this stage this is my only option). Disappointing it says I will not get "Windows DVD Player" for free.

Hi

Make sure that you have activated your copy of Windows 10 before you do the reinstall and it shouldn't ask you for your registration number. Supposedly once you have done the upgrade you can reinstall anytime you want as long as the original upgrade was activated.

Mike

Windows 10 on my Toshiba got most of them but there were a couple it missed. I am thinking it is because I am running AMD instead of Intel. My desktop has Intel and it seemed to download them all. I still had to update the drivers in both machines.

Back