Windows 7 Help!! Boot Error

Broked

So when i tried to start up my pc today, i tried to install windows xp ( Compatibility issues) But it my disc got a read error. so i tried to install a pirated copy of windows 7 ( to fix the boot manager ) , then that worked fine, but once i let the pc restart for the first time, required in setup, it just kept going to the xp installation and says insert the xp disc, wich didn't work. so basically i need to know how to select a different OS to boot up with, and there's no option to select witch one i want to boot up with. PLEASE HELP!!!!
:cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile:

Have you tried pressing F8 when booting to enter the advanced boot menu?

You can download a legal Windows 7 SP1 Install DVD from here.

Link Removed - Not Found

When you said the Windows 7 repair worked fine, what did it do to fix your problem?

If your system has already switched over the the XP boot system, you may need to run a Bootsect /nt60 command to get Windows 7 back. I remember once trying to repair a Windows 7 install after an XP incident, and it took 4 times of running the Startup Repair before it was able to recover the system.

But with Windows XP, many folks have problems with the SATA AHCI controller, since XP does not know about that and results in Blue Screen. If you want help with it, let us know.

All i need to know is how to access the command menu, i cant get in my os. and f8 didnt work. is there a way i can get to like a screen where i can enter commands? Also, like i said shuftin, i cant access windows 7 or xp.

Last edited:
First of all, get rid of the pirate version. It won't get you far. Once you have the proper registration versions and such, you'll get all stuff from Microsoft.

Otherwise, check pirate friends. It seems you started with a legitimate version: go on. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

First of all, get rid of the pirate version. It won't get you far. Once you have the proper registration versions and such, you'll get all stuff from Microsoft.

Otherwise, check pirate friends. It seems you started with a legitimate version: go on. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.
Trust me, i would if i could. like i said: i can't get it to boot with any other OS other than xp's install ( Don't have the disk or flash drives or blank disc's to Install it with) and it just says insert the xp Sp3 disc. i just need to know how to get windows 7 to boot without going into any os at all. Please help, posting from my iphone :(

Accessing the command menu will vary on different system. In addition to that, when you hit certain keys might make a difference.

For instance, on my motherboard, I can hit F5 during the Manufacturer Splash screen or hit F8 after the splash screen.

Try tapping or possibly even holding down.....

But, since you have overwritten the Windows 7 boot, the normal F8 options are probably not available any more.

Best to use an Install DVD, borrow one if you need to.

Saltgrass is right you need an install DVD or thumb drive. Open your bios and change the boot order to boot from disk/thumb drive. When reaching the installation screen choose repair instead.

ok, i got a usb drive, and insatlled a usb installable version of windows via Wintoflash, and now my pc wont reconize the usb anymore, it did before (thast how i installed 7) and now it wont install xp or 7. Very strange now. Please sombody reply ASAP

Maybe we should back up and get a better picture of what is happening.

Since you got a read error on the XP SP3 install CD, could the DVD drive be going out? How old is the system and might other things be going out? You were installing XP just because you wanted to and not because the system was having problems?

But now, you cannot boot to the Windows XP install CD???

You cannot boot to a copy of Windows 7??? What happens when you try? Do you get the Boot to DVD, hit a key message?

As far as the flash drive, do you have the bios set to boot to a USB device? What happens when it set it to boot first?

If your system is older, you might think about changing some components out. A DVD drive is not very expensive, and would be an easy place to start. But you may be having other type of problems, like power supply.

You will have to be able to boot into something to do any repairs. I don't think we can really help until you get yourself in a position to access your system.

Help us to help you.. Please list your computer system so we can have a better understanding on how we may help you.

To repeat myself, if you mingle with pirate copies, you'll only end with problems, sooner or later.

Be sure to have the engine running correctly. Can't have a Porsche running with a lawnmower engine, can you?

To repeat myself, if you mingle with pirate copies, you'll only end with problems, sooner or later. I was actually reprimanded by a moderator here for using the word "torrent" in a post. Not a problem, I could see the point.

Be sure to have the engine running correctly. Can't have a Porsche running with a lawnmower engine, can you?
Im positive thats nit the reason, i accidently changed a setting in windows so it dosnt show witch OS i want to use, and it has an old XP install as the default os. i just need to change those settings.

Back