Windows 7 Help! Can't complete install of Win 7 x64!

Iudicetur

I really need help on this one.

I formatted my hard drive to reinstall windows and for some reason when I reboot the computer after installing from the DVD it won't go further than a black screen...

I tried to boot off the hard drive but that wouldn't work. :(

I have all my important files on it - need to get this urgently!

Could you explain in some more detail about the statements "I formatted my hard drive" and "I have all my important files on it". Did you format just one partition, or the entire drive? Do you have a second drive?

When it goes to the black screen, do you get a blinking cursor on the upper left, or a moveable mouse cursor? What type of video output are you using?

Could you explain in some more detail about the statements "I formatted my hard drive" and "I have all my important files on it". Did you format just one partition, or the entire drive? Do you have a second drive?

When it goes to the black screen, do you get a blinking cursor on the upper left, or a moveable mouse cursor? What type of video output are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

Here's some more information that may or may not be relevant:

* My system has 2 hard drives - 2TB each on NTFS.
* I deleted all partitions including the system reserved ones before install.
* When it goes to black screen I get the blinking cursor on the upper left indefinitely.
* I use HDMI for my monitor - I still get a signal though.
* Booting off the DVD is Ok. However, when I use the Bios to boot off the hard drive, I get the black screen.
* Booting off Windows Boot Manager is Ok, but it throws me back to the black screen after it says 'Completing installation'

Hope that helps.

The blinking cursor usually means the system is not being directed to the actual location of the boot files. Since having 2 hard drives in your system, can lead to some confusion about where the boot files and OS are loaded, I always recommend disconnecting the second drive until the install is complete.

Your reference to a "Windows Boot Manager" means that you have a UEFI system. When you install, are you selecting a UEFI boot from the DVD or just letting it load normally?

You might try doing a startup repair to get your system booting, which may take several runs to repair whatever is wrong.

Next time you load the Install DVD, try hitting the boot device key (possibly F8) and see if you can find the two versions of the DVD, normal or UEFI.

You say, if you use the Windows Boot Manager, it seems to continue the install. Are the Black Screens you get the same?

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I thought it had something to do with having multiple hds.

I indeed have a UEFI system and I have always used UEFI to install Windows.

When I use Windows Boot Manager it does continue the install and then throws me back to the black screen.

I haven't tried disconnecting the HD yet - as I'm not confident with performing surgery on the bowels of my PC. Is there a different way of disabling it from Bios?

If you are doing a UEFI install, it may not be that relevant as to which drive is primary. But you say it goes to a black screen when it is ready to switch resolutions to the desktop. I still think it is not directing the video output to the appropriate device or the resolution is bad.

Have you given it some time in the black screen to see if it comes back?

Have you tried the Startup Repair after booting into the DVD in UEFI mode? Do I understand correctly the install went through all the expand files and setting everything up, rebooted twice, but when it is finally ready it goes to a black screen?

How many Windows Boot Managers do you show, and is the specific drive identified with that item?

You may want to try installing again. Since you have 2, 2 TB drives, make very sure which drive you are looking at.

When you run the install, on the page after selecting a language and before you start the install, hit Shift+F10. This will bring up a command prompt window. Type Diskpart and let it start. Then type the following, with enter after each, and make very sure which drive you are selecting.

list disk
select disk 0 <-- This depends on whether you want to wipe disk 0 or 1
clean
exit
exit

This will completely wipe the drive, so if you have something on it you want, do not do this procedure.

Then go ahead with the install. If the install stops somewhere, let us know exactly where and what it was doing.

If you continue to have problems, I will suggest you download and burn the bootable version of Partition Wizard, which is free for Home use. With it, you can check the drive configurations and perhaps see a problem.

Also, just in case, I have been testing today and found that a UEFI install needs the EFI partition. If you try to install on a drive that is completely pre-formatted, it will refuse. The fact you have two drives might allow it to put a partition on another drive, but I have not tested that.

Back