Windows 7 Help! Consistent BSOD on new family pc

gatomalo

Hello.

I'm new to these forums and was hoping I could get some help ASAP! The issue reared its ugly head this morning when I decided to join a friend on a steam game (dungeon defenders). The game went through the initial menu fine, but on the second menu, the sound suddenly looped and a pink screen occupied my monitor. I tried multiple more times and met with the same results. Then I moved on to another game and met with faster resistance. Another pink screen with no information filled the screen. Lastly, i tried watching a random youtube video in full screen but met with another annoying, yet true to its color, bsod with again no text on screen.

The PC was built at the start of this year for my family's use, but this nagging issue will undoubtedly wreck their weekend.

The specs are:

I've also enclosed all the necessary information in the zip file. Please help me!

Attachments

• Gatomalo.Seven Forums.zip
    1 MB · Views: 380
Hi Gatomalo and Welcome to The Forum,

Your last three dmp files give a Stop Error 116

You're getting a Stop Error Code 116
(Link) "It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash. As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds. If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating. Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU. Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference. If so, it might be as simple as dust build up and subsequently inadequate cooling." - H2SO4

Ensure that none of the hardware is being over-clocked.
Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. Chase out those dust bunnies!

See link to begin troubleshooting:STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR Troubleshooting.

I see you have the possibility of setting your RAM to XMP in the BIOS. If you can do this, that will help system stability (as it is your RAM timings are off).

I'll update this thread with possible driver issues after I've stopped the dog chewing my leg off and taken him for a walk!

Hi gatomolo,

Welcome to the forums.

What you are describing are known as on-screen artifacts. It is not uncommon, when a video card is not functioning properly, that objects on the screen, especially 3D rendered objects, will turn pink. This, combined with information from your crash dumps, leads me to several conclusions:

The graphics card is failing or the drivers have become corrupt and need to be updated.

I notice you are running:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

You have the latest unified NVIDIA graphics card drivers (285.62). You may want to roll back to NVIDIA DRIVERS 275.33 WHQL

See also: 285.62 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered - NVIDIA Forums

Safely power off your system, open up the system, ensure that no dust has built up on the card and around its fans. Ensure proper seating of this card. Try running a free graphics benchmarking utility found here: Free Graphic / Video Card Benchmark Programs

Check for overheating issues with the card, and while difficult, consider swapping out the card with a replacement as a test. This would be easier if you had on-board video.

If your card is in PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, try switching it to PCI-E 2.0 slot and vice versa.

Ensure that the graphics card is not actively being overclocked using GPU-Z. Consider manually clocking down the card to see if errors still take place.

Based on the warranty condition of the card, if you still encounter problems after checking both hardware and software, consider RMA or a call to NVIDIA.

See report below:

On Fri 2/3/2012 5:13:01 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\temp dmp folder\020312-9063-01.dmp
uptime: 00:31:29
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xC3BAE4)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800720F3E0, 0xFFFFF880102C9AE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys .
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Fri 2/3/2012 4:40:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\temp dmp folder\020312-9921-01.dmp
uptime: 00:12:02
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xC3BAE4)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80075F44E0, 0xFFFFF88010099AE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys .

On Fri 2/3/2012 4:27:53 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\temp dmp folder\020312-9500-01.dmp
uptime: 00:08:49
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800746D010, 0xFFFFF8801029BAE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

On Fri 2/3/2012 4:18:17 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\temp dmp folder\020312-9578-01.dmp
uptime: 00:01:36
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006DE94E0, 0xFFFFF88010069AE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

On Fri 2/3/2012 4:15:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\Gatomalo.Seven Forums\temp dmp folder\020312-8970-01.dmp
uptime: 00:35:31
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006B46010, 0xFFFFF88010280AE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys

The driver roll back didn't work, but it did do something new. After the PC was restarted again, the monitor lost connection and turned itself off. I guess I better give Nvidia a call now.

If this is the case, the answer is unlikely to be with the drivers. Even the rollback drivers are WHQL certified. They have been QA tested by both NVIDIA and Microsoft. You will definitely want to look at this as a probable hardware malfunction on the video card. If you can get the screen back, try going into Safe Mode with Networking and see if things lock up. It is possible that the hardware can no longer handle rendering with hardware acceleration and Windows Aero. This does happen from time to time :frown:

I called up EVGA and they tell me that they WILL replace the card, but it is also possible that the PSU might be the cause of the issue. Any good recommendations for an excellent psu on the cheap range for my system?

Try this to "guesstimate". Always exaggerate your power requirements, and at the end give a minimum capacitor ageing. But read the notes, may have got it wrong (I know, not believable! but occasionally true).

Personally, I'm going to get a OCZ ModXtreme. next. Well, when I say next, it will be the first purpose bought PSU. The rest I've always purloined out of older systems / cadged / etc.

Back