Windows 7 Help: getting dbghelp.dll error when installing!!!

maddogmaulucci

Hey guys, I am having an error pop up when I try to install on my desktop, not sure what is happening as I have been able to install this on my laptop with no problems. And I was also able to install the beta on another partition on this computer (it was removed and that partition is gone). But I can't seem to upgrade from my vista

Here is the error Im getting
Untitled-1.jpg

Here is my system information:
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire M5200
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Phenomâ„¢ 8450 Triple-Core Processor, 2100 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 3 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. R01-B1, 07/05/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.22150"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.74 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.23 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.24 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I don't know how or why, but it has to be the wrong version and that particular function does not exist in your current dgbhelp.dll

Is this your first attempt at installing windows 7?

Are you doing a "clean" install or an upgrade?

is it the official; RC directly from MS?

I don't know how or why, but it has to be the wrong version and that particular function does not exist in your current dgbhelp.dll

Is this your first attempt at installing windows 7?

Are you doing a "clean" install or an upgrade?

is it the official; RC directly from MS?

I am trying to upgrade my vista prem. I installed this version (direct from MS RC1) on my Laptop and it worked fine. I had also installed a beta version on my desktop in another partition a few months ago but completely got rid of that partition and any signs of it. Have tried to download an updated version of dgbhelp.dll but it still says the same thing. also it is blank when it says compatibility issues. ive never had a problem like this before.

I and most other regular posters agree that the best way to install Windows 7 is by doing a "clean" install rather than an upgrade.

Hundred of useless files are left on your system when doing an upgrade.

The install seems to be picking that version from your Vista installation, which is the incorrent version.

I and most other regular posters agree that the best way to install Windows 7 is by doing a "clean" install rather than an upgrade.

Hundred of useless files are left on your system when doing an upgrade.

The install seems to be picking that version from your Vista installation, which is the incorrent version.

I agree, It just I have a lot saved and quite a bit of programs installed. I don't really want to have to go back in and reinstall everything and even try and find a way to back up all my files and settings. Is there an easy way??

I understand.

You could have simply copied your documents, picture, videos, whatever to an external hard drive or a flash drive,

Yes, all programs will have to be re-installed, but if you're getting this error message, Windows 7 will not install.

Maybe someone else will come by with a better solution.

It may be a possibility, not sure.

First, just try renaming it It's in the C:\windows\system32 directory and run Windows 7 installation again.

If that fails.....

You could extract the contents of the ISO file and locate the dll and copy it over the older version.

If it's in use by Windows, it will not overwrite and you can't delete it.

To "unlock" it, you'll need another program.

Post back with your results first.

It may be a possibility, not sure.

First, just try renaming it It's in the C:\windows\system32 directory and run Windows 7 installation again.

If that fails.....

You could extract the contents of the ISO file and locate the dll and copy it over the older version.

If it's in use by Windows, it will not overwrite and you can't delete it.

To "unlock" it, you'll need another program.

Post back with your results first.

Ok I just went to my laptop (win7) and found the file, emailed it to myself on my desktop and will replace the old one. I will report back soon to let you know the outcome!

well, that didn't work. It just created kernal errors. I did create a restore point so I just went back to that. I guess I will have to try a clean install!

I know what you mean.

I've had to re-install all my programs with each successive build that I installed

Post back with the results, hope it works.:)

Back