Windows 10 Help! I've lost my permissions on Windows 10 and I can't get them back.

ConnorMarc

So, I was tinkering around w/my Dell Latitude E6440 laptop some weeks ago, let's say a month now and I mistakenly changed my permissions.

Now almost no programs work, not even Windows Explorer.

See the attachments for the messages I get...

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

and then...

"This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, if one is already installed, create an associated in the Default Apps Settings page."

This happened when I followed, or attempted to follow some online instructions on how to install Windows 7's "Windows Photo Viewer" on my Windows 10 machine.

I've already did the thing where you get the "hidden admin" account to show up in attemps to use that to update the other user's permissions and even that doesn't work

Almost no program works, except for Chrome, most gives a similar error message.

I'm hoping there's some bootable tool that I can use that'll fix this, I even tried all the Command Prompt solutions, nothing's worked.

Hence, I'm here, I really want to save files, and right now I can't even access them.

Looking forward to any feedback.

Attachments

• 20200504_005445.jpg
    20200504_005445.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 20200504_005540.jpg
    20200504_005540.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 123
  1. Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.
  2. Select the Security tab.
  3. Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have.
  4. Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK.

If you've removed permissions for an file or folder you have take ownership of said file or folder in order to grant yourself access. Sounds like you screwed up the permissions pretty good. It would be a lot easier re-installing Windows with the "keep data and programs" option selected.

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.
  2. Select the Security tab.
  3. Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have.
  4. Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK.
It's not allowing my to access Windows Explorer, remember?

I also just tried accessing that via a file search in a gmail.com attachment. Looks like all the permissions are checked, yet, no dice.

Weird.

If you've removed permissions for an file or folder you have take ownership of said file or folder in order to grant yourself access. Sounds like you screwed up the permissions pretty good. It would be a lot easier re-installing Windows with the "keep data and programs" option selected.
I just tried this as well, two different Windows 10 boot disks, one that was pre-activated, the other asked me to type in the key.

None are allowing me that option, one isn't even allowing a full install. The other, I didn't even try.

I'm going to call a young man I met some years ago that was able to have success w/Windows 10 and see if he's able to fix this mess.

Thanks guys!

Back