Windows 8 Help Me Please.

JericStudios

So I got a laptop a year ago for my birthday with Windows 8 installed on it.
[you might recognize this post. I'm ExecutedNebula. I made a new account because I forgot my password.]
It was a beautiful HP Pavillion and very good price. I had the "usual" files: Google Chrome, Steam games, and various demos for programs like Fruity Loops and Vegas Pro. And Malwarebytes declared no viruses so it wasn't a virus that caused this problem. I THINK (remember, I think, I'm not completely 100% sure. This happened a while ago.) that I left it on all night by accident and it overheated. I turned it on the next morning and it had indeed crashed sometime while I was sleeping, and it sent me to some "Options" menu. I couldn't get back to my desktop by trying to start up normally because something was wrong with it. I tried to reset my account, and everything was going well, until it glitched out and and I had a black screen with an error message saying "Please take out and re-insert your install disk." I didn't have an install disk, and after that everytime I started the laptop, it just sent me to a black screen. So, I had no computer. I would just take it back to the Best Buy I bought it at and have them fix it, but the laptop is WAY past warranty now, and I don't have the money to get it fixed. So yeah, I need help. I'm at my friend's house on his PC typing this, so answer soon because I'm leaving in a few hours. Also, I would get a new laptop, but like I said, I don't have the money. So, because this is becoming a wall of text, please help! I just want a working laptop at this point!

If all else fails you can try doing a full recovery. It should show up during boot up, and tell you press a function key. If you are having problems getting this to work check the HP site for instructions on how to do the recovery.

If all else fails you can try doing a full recovery. It should show up during boot up, and tell you press a function key. If you are having problems getting this to work check the HP site for instructions on how to do the recovery.

I try starting it up and.......nothing. Just a black screen. What do I do?

Try pressing the F10 key to get into the BIOS. If you get into the BIOS try setting it to default and reboot. Check the HP site on how to remove the BIOS battery. This will clear the BIOS setting and set them to default.
If you don't see the initial screen with the HP splash screen, it may be a dead MB or display. If you have a HDMI port on the PC you could try hooking it up to a TV and see if anything shows.
If none of these work maybe someone else will have another idea, otherwise off to the shop with it.

On HP Pavillion, hitting F11 while booting will bring you to the recovery center, assuming it still has the hidden recovery partition intact, might work for you.

I start it up, and black screen.
Are you not seeing any system information, BIOS data, HP Splash Screen at all when you start the laptop?
Try a hard reset.
Remove the power cord, remove the battery, hold the ON Button for a count of 30 seconds or so.
Replace the battery, plug in the power cord and turn it on.... Anything?

Back