Windows Vista HELP!!! My Speakers won't work

Jenme

HI, I need help! Or I may be beyond help....
My Polk Audio Speakers will not work on Vista. I only bought a new tower and told the idiot sales guy that I was keeping my old monitor and speaker, no mention of compatabilty issues! I have updated the drivers and run ALL of the sound checks no sound comes out!! It's NOT muted. The sound checks say the speakers are working I guess I need to be a dog maybe to hear it?:)
Thanks so much to anyone who can tell me if I have a snow balls chance of making these speakers work.
Jen

first, try other speakers. vista software would not control their operation. look in device manager, see if the sound is enabled. is the volume in the computer turned up?
there are instances where the pin plug on the speakers is not compatible with the receptacle on the sound card.
rare , but possible.
why did you call the salesman an idiot??
he did his job, selling the tower.
he has no clue to what your computer skills are.

I just thought that he should have mentioned possible compatiabily issues with windows vista.... I told him what my old system was. I also was in severe pain, I am on pain managment and have narcolepsy. So I tend to cranky sometimes, sorry if I offended you. The answer to what suggested is to all except for other speakers since I can't afford new ones and don't have any others laying around.
Thanks for your suggestions though.
Jenny

Hmm.. Usually speakers are speakers and just plug into the pc regardless of what the operating system is. Usually the speaker connecter will be coloured green and will fit into a corresponding colour at the back of the tower. Its also possible the tower came with a PCI sound card which in that case the connection would near to the bottom of the tower.. Finally I know this sounds stupid but are you sure you turned them on, sometimes they have a seperate power supply, did you plug them in? ( I only say this cuz my mom once spent 3-4hrs trying to use speakers that needed plugging into the wall socket lol )

I am having a similar problem in Vista with my speakers. My front set will not work ( though Windows says they are fine ) and the rear speakers work just fine, thank you. If I switch the cables, the former front speakers ( now rear speakers ) will work and the former rear speakers will not work ! Anyone have any suggestions why the front speakers will not work in Vista ?
Just for the heck of it, have you tried plugging your Polk speaker cable into the rear speaker receptacle ? That way you may check to be sure your speakers do work...
If anyone can clarify Vista sound problems many of us would be grateful.

Have you configured your sound/speaker properties? You find this via your Control panel and then Hardware and Sound options. Then choose sound and the next dialogue screen will include your speaker/sound properties. If you highlight the speakers and then click configure, near the bottom, you can choose your configuration. I know if I don't do this with my set up it defaults to a 7.1 setup which makes my speakers sound like crap.

my speakers don't work either. The speakers are not that old, but they don't have a color at the end of them either. My new "tower", or where I come from "computer" does.

Of all the desksop items that came standard on my new Compaq, none of their support people could tell me how to make sound from my computer. All the jacks are the same, so I know it is possible. If you talk to hp, geek squad, norton, rhaposody, aol, ebay, etc. they all say "buy new speakers."

I know this can't be true in this day and age. So can someone tell me how to make "Premio" speakers work as they did with Windows XP.

figured it out.

1) Don't buy new computer speakers

2) Plug the somewhat old computer speakers into the head phone jack in the front of the computer marked with green and a picture of a headphone.

2) Restart

They should also work in the similiar coloured jack at the back of your computer.

I just installed Vista on my Mac. The built in speakers work perfectly when I'm in the Mac environment but I get no sound from them in the Vista environment. The volume is turned up to 100%, I've checked under control panel and the speakers are supposedly ok. I've run out of ideas to try. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem they work fine on the mac but they don't work on vista but when i use head phones to 100% they still don't work can anyone help?

I'm only referancing this to my system because I'm not sitting in front of yours.

1) right click on the speaker icon in your task bar

2) select playback devices

3) highlight speakers

4) then click on the configure button

in there you should be able to configure what speakers you are using

hi to everyone

i guessed i just joined the forum hence have nothing much to say since i have not really experienced windows vista. but i think i do have a similar problem that is i re-installed windows vista and now my volume icon on the task bar is marked red with the information NO VOLUME OUTPUT DEVICE IS INSTALLED. Can some one give me an answer to that and how to get my volume back. thanks and i think thats agood start

I'm sick of all this useless advice. I've already tried everything that has been suggested. The problem is Vista and it needs to be fixed by Vista. Get on it Bill!!!

HI, I need help! Or I may be beyond help....
My Polk Audio Speakers will not work on Vista. I only bought a new tower and told the idiot sales guy that I was keeping my old monitor and speaker, no mention of compatabilty issues! I have updated the drivers and run ALL of the sound checks no sound comes out!! It's NOT muted. The sound checks say the speakers are working I guess I need to be a dog maybe to hear it?:)
Thanks so much to anyone who can tell me if I have a snow balls chance of making these speakers work.
Jen

were you ever able to fix it? becuz i got the same problem

Back
Top Bottom