Windows 7 Help Plz, cant get Win7 to do dual monitor for me.

Hunter Wallen

Looking for some help. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, just registered to do this. Trying to get my computer to let me use my second monitor. I've updated my drivers and restarted, used DriverFinder and updated from there to. Using:

Win7 Home 64bit
My tower is HPE-500y HP Pav Elite 2
aoc monitor e2343fk 23' lcd
and a older NEC 1712 monitor

i cant get win7 to either detect or identify the second monitor. not listed in device monitor either.
Please help, and thx for your time.
Also im a bit of a newb in the tech dept. not so savvy .

Hi

It's pretty hard to guess at what's happening with a problem like this.

I would start by switching the plugs on the two monitors and see what happens.
Does the old monitor show up instead of the new one?

What happens if you plug in just the old monitor in where the new one is now?

What happens if you plug in only the New monitor where the old one is, is it being recognized?

I have my HD TV plugged into an HDMI port on my video card and when I plug it in my computers says Online and it shows up right away.

The display properties looks like this.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Let us know what happens when you try these things and maybe someone will have an idea.

Mike

ok, tried plugging the NEC monitor aka 2nd monitor directly into Tower, instead of the first monitor the aoc one. The second monitor is up now. But how do get the first one to work.
i have on the baclk of the tower a second DVI input, but its covered and says dont remove cover. and a second input next to it, which is also covered but not labeled.

Hi

How are you plugging them both in now?
both of them need to plug into the video card in some manner unless you have a USB monitor or an adapter of some sort.

Do you know for sure that your video card supports dual monitors, not all of them do.
If you don't have a video card I'm not really sure if some on board video supports dual monitors or not. I've never had a computer without a video card so I don't have a clue.

I can't imagine why the ports are covered unless they are non functional and they don't want you to try and plug something into them.

Maybe you should check with HP on that.

Mike

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything that says that you computer supports dual displays.

Last edited:
Only the AOC is hooked up right now. Niether have a USB hook up, the AOC has a DVI-D and a VGA. the NEC has a VGA i believe. the video card is a AMD Radeon HD 6450, no HDMI either. Win7 Home 64

thx btw

Edit: Also it doesn't detect both when both are hooked up through the aoc monitor, but does recognize each separately when hooked into the tower.

i found this off of ask.com via best buy answers
This machine has (1) DVI port enabled on card [nice card!] and (1) HDMI port enabled on card. You could do VGA->DVI adapter + DVI->HDMI adapter. But watch out: on the DVI-HDMI adapter you need some sort of HDMI male-to-female short dongle or angling hardware to get the bulky adapter away from the back of the card-rear so the two wide-ish adapters don't jam side-by-side making it impossible to connect the HDMI inbound to the card. That's exactly what I did and presto I have a VERY nice two-display system. It just might cost you $15 to $50 in adapter hardware. C'est la Vie!
From what I have e said, could i do this. I do have some adapters. Would one of those covered port be whats thats calling about?

Also
This unit will support two monitors one through the VGA and one through the DVI-D port.
So im assuming thats the covered one? I hope so.

Last edited:
Hi

It sounds like it should work if you have the correct adapters.

As I asked before how are you trying to plug them both in at the same time now?
I don't know why the HDMI port has a cover on it that says do not remove but that should be the right one.

Not being able to see it, it's hard to see what is involved but if you can find 2 adapters that will fit give it a try.

Mike

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...sprefix=dvi+to+hdmi&rh=n:172282,k:dvi+to+hdmi

Last edited:
Ive have an adapter that came with the computer, and one for vga to dvi-d. Ive tried every combo of both having both plugged in and not, and in no combo does the tower ever pick up the second monitor. If the 2nd one is in the right port and not coupled with the main monitor it reads it fine. i dont have an hdmi to dvi-d adapter though. i guess ill have to make another journey to glorious Best Buy. Also the NEC monitor only has the plug , vga i believe, out and its non removable, and no other import slot of any kind. lol I really dont wanna have to buy another new monitor.

Sorry I dont have camera to show you.

Hi

I can't suggest anything except doing what the info that you found says.
I'd get the adapter and try it.

Let us know what happens.

Mike

KK finally got it to work. Bought an HDMI to DVI adapter, hooked that up from tower to monitor, and used a VGA to DVI-D adapter from the NEC to tower. Just a few clicks to get the display options right, and Yahtzee dual monitors. Groovy

Thx Mike

Back