Windows 7 Help. Possible virus that's denying access to google

CrashLaker

Hello guys! This is my first post here. So I hope you guys could help me out.

The problem is that I can access any website but Google.
When I try to reach www.google.com it says that that website doesn't exists
and it works when I try Google's IP address.

I'm using Google's DNS. 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as alternative.
So when I try to query www.google.com using nslookup it says that
it couldn't find it.

I'm running on a fully up-to-date Windows and McAfee in which I already did
a full scan as well.

So.. What might the problem be?

Thanks in advance!

ps : The other computers connected to the same router can access Google
normally.

But what are the addresses that my router uses?
I had to set up manual IP address but by doing that I couldn't manage to
mark the option go get DNS automatically.

What should I put there?

I remember entering another DNS address and it didn't work :(

Edit1:
You are saying that I should do something like this? (I've just googled this random pic)
tk-cisco-routers-dns-2.png

The problem is that I can access any website but Google.
If that is truly the case then you might want to check your hosts file.
Look here
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Double click "hosts" and open it with notepad
Look for any reference that is not preceded by this symbol #
If you find one that references google.com in any fashion you may want to remove it. Simply back space it out or place a # symbol in front of the line to comment it out and have it ignored when the host file is parsed.
The host file may have read only properties so you will have to alter that before you can edit and save the edits.

If that is truly the case then you might want to check your hosts file.
Look here
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Double click "hosts" and open it with notepad
Look for any reference that is not preceded by this symbol #
If you find one that references google.com in any fashion you may want to remove it. Simply back space it out or place a # symbol in front of the line to comment it out and have it ignored when the host file is parsed.
The host file may have read only properties so you will have to alter that before you can edit and save the edits.

Trouble. I already checked hosts file. It's normal exactly like the default one.

Flush you DNS cache.
Open an elevated command prompt and type
ipconfig /flushdns
reboot, just for fun and see if that fixes anything.

Then my suspicion falls on McAfee.
Use the control panel, programs and features applet to uninstall it conventionally. Then download the vendor specific proprietary removal tool (McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool) from here
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
and run it.
Install Microsoft Security Essentials for the time being as a substitute from here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

And think about it for a while and consider if there was any other third party Security Suite installed prior to even McAfee. You may find that you have some remnants of those products hanging around as well, so.....
You may need to search for specific removal tools for those.

Then my suspicion falls on McAfee.
Use the control panel, programs and features applet to uninstall it conventionally. Then download the vendor specific proprietary removal tool (McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool) from here
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
and run it.
Install Microsoft Security Essentials for the time being as a substitute from here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

And think about it for a while and consider if there was any other third party Security Suite installed prior to even McAfee. You may find that you have some remnants of those products hanging around as well, so.....
You may need to search for specific removal tools for those.

So Is this indeed a virus problem?

So far, you haven't mentioned that your machine is exhibiting any other symptoms other than the fact that you can not get a browser to go to www.google.com
I suspect that there is some file somewhere that is preventing common name resolution of FQDNs (seemingly solely the Fully Qualified Domain Name www.google.com) that is being parsed and causing the issue.
Now whether that is the product of a piece of malware or your current security suite or the remnants of a previous overzealous security suite / firewall product, I cannot possibly say for certain.

You can always run malwarebytes and see if that finds anything from here
https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

But what are the addresses that my router uses?
I had to set up manual IP address but by doing that I couldn't manage to
mark the option go get DNS automatically.

What should I put there?

I remember entering another DNS address and it didn't work :(

Edit1:
You are saying that I should do something like this? (I've just googled this random pic)
tk-cisco-routers-dns-2.png
If 192.168.1.1 is the address of your default gateway on your router then this should work. You also try using dhcp for both devive IP address and DNS address which I would expect to set similar values (except possibly for the drive IP whichwould depend on the neaxt available address).

Back
Top Bottom