Windows Vista Help starting printer service in Safe Mode

snax111

I have a Windows system that I can only run in Safe Mode now, but I'd like to run some additional services that don't come in that mode by default. The most important one is the print spooler. I've run the following command which I found in various guides on how to do this:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Spooler" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

But when I run "net start spooler", I get this:

"System error 1068 has occurred.

The dependency service or group failed to start."

So I'm trying to start all of the spooler's dependencies, which according to its properties, are "HXXP" and "RPC." I assume RPC is RpcsS, which is already started. I don't know how to start HXXP though. I attempted it by running these commands:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HXXP" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

However, when I type "net start hxxp", I get this error:

"System error 646 has occurred.

The driver was not loaded because the system is booting into safe mode."

Can anyone help?

Please note that I wasn't able to type the actual name of the "HXXP" service due to filtering. I think you know what I meant though.

Safe mode is designed to run what it does and not much else because it's meant for diagnostics. I think you probably want to focus on getting your system to boot in regular mode. So why won't it?

I agree with neemo here.:) Trying to diagnose network printer problems in Safe Mode is pointless; especially if you are using HP or Canon software as they all require windows standard mode to launch API calls which launch services and host processes which will only run in Windows standard mode. You need to fix your computer so it will work in standard mode, or get another computer!

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is that's causing problems in standard mode, but I know that I'll have to take it in to have it fixed. Safe Mode is very usable to me though. I'd like to use it full time until I'm able to get the computer fixed, but I really can't without the printer service started. If there's any way at all I could go about starting it I'd really appreciate it.

Unless someone else chimes in here and contradicts me, that's not possible.:noway: Would you mind telling us the Make/Model of your printer?

If your PC only runs in Safe Mode, and not Standard Mode as you say, it's either got a faulty piece of hardware (Hard Drive, RAM, or Motherboard), or you have severe Windows corruption and or a virus/malware infection. Either way, it will take expert level troubleshooting to resolve.

Good Luck!
<<<BBJ>>>

It's a Canon PIXMA mx920. The issue in standard mode is that after you use it for a little while, the screen starts flickering in multiple colors before blue screening and turning off. In Safe Mode this never happens.

Thanks for that information. I see. Sounds like a printer driver issue as already mentioned or a corrupted Registry.

Have you tried hooking the printer up to another known good windows computer in standard mode *in Vista or W7/W8*?? If the printer works on the different computer, then it's not any kind of a weird printer problem. It's inside your PC; registry or driver problem.

To narrow that down, disable your AV, antispyware, and firewall software, uninstall your Canon Pixma m920 driver from here:
if you have 32bit vista:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/serviceDetail?directLink=Y&mid=6992B003&type=D
from here if you have 64bit vista:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/serviceDetail?directLink=Y&mid=6992B003&type=D
Download from Canon site and reinstall. Restest in Standard Mode.

If the printer driver reinstall still doesn't solve the problem, you most likely have Registry corruption in your windows. At that point you can try Windows Vista in-place upgrade to reinstall Vista system files. If that fails, you'll need to make or get ahold of factory Recovery Discs for your computer if it's an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.). Make sure to backup all your personal data to external media if you haven't already done so prior to performing any of these software repairs!!
If you don't have the Recovery Discs as they didn't come with your computer when you bought it. There are utilities often found on computers to make those Recovery Discs. They are called "MEDIA CREATOR ASSISTANT" or something similar. This will usually required from 2-12 DVD blank discs and can take several hours to create. You can then boot from the 1st disc in this series to start the windows vista repair or reinstall.

Also many Vista systems had the factory Recovery software installed on a hidden
"recovery partition" already on your hard drive if you've not reformatted your hard drive or replaced it since you owned it. You can access this recovery partition upon bootup using a keyboard key option such as <F2>, <F5>, <F6>, <F9>, <F10>, <F11>, or <F12>; CONSULT THE OWNER'S MANUAL FOR YOUR COMPUTER FOR THIS KEYBOARD ACCESS OPTION. Using either the DVD recovery discs option or the recovery partition on your hard drive does the same thing which is restore your computer to Out-Of-Box (OOB) condition when you first opened it up after getting it from your UPS guy or bringing it home from the store.

Either of these methods will require you to reinstall all programs you ever installed on that computer from the time you unpacked it from it's shipping box; either via disc media or Internet download. You'll also have to put all your data back by copying it back over from the external media you backed it up from earlier prior to the Vista repair/reinstall.

We strongly suggest that before you put all your installed programs and data back onto that hard drive, and before you install any AV, AS, FW security software, install the Canon printer and test it in Standard Mode. You may need to reinstall the Canon drivers again as the drivers that come with Vista for that printer are long out of date. Retest in Standard Mode. If it now works; you fixed it!! :up:

If this solution still doesn't fix it, chances are you have a failed hard drive and you should test it and replace it if it fails.:waah: Here's how to test it:
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
Bear in mind that your computer is 8-9 years old, and if you've never had the hard drive replaced, that's a very likely culprit. Hard drives are only designed to last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops!

Run the Vista in-place upgrade or reinstallation from discs or partition. Disable your AV, AS, or FW security programs. Connect the Canon printer, uninstall the printer drivers that vista puts in and reinstall the drivers I gave you links to above which are the latest vista drivers for your model printer directly from Canon website. Retest your printer. If it works you fixed it! :up:

BBJ :usa:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom