Windows 10 *HELP* Unexpected BSOD while rendering video and doing the usual on chrome

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply, looks like I will have to save up to buy a new cooler.
I stopped gaming and rendering so the CPU wouldn't be damaged any further, tho this morning it gave me the same bsod while I was on google.
Just google. I had a lot of tabs open but that shouldn't have caused this again...

Do you have any ideas about what could cause this?

Were you using youtube?
No, it was my 7 gmail inboxes 3 chat screens and some work.

Post the dump file and I'll take another look.

Plus what are your temps like when at idle or using the net?
My temps are usually about 60 degrees celcius. Right now -with only this tab open and nothing else- it's about 48 degrees

Thank you very much for your help! I don't know how I would even begin to solve this problem without your help.
I'm very grateful..

Attachments

• 020819-5937-01.dmp
    586.6 KB · Views: 399
Hi,
it was another bugcheck 124 so could be heat related.

I also notice your running Kaspersky AV. We always recommend third party AV suites be removed as a test as many bsod's originate from a borked anti virus app so it's worth trying.

The other thing was I couldn't seem to find any chipset drivers and these are critical for proper system running.

Can you post the make and model of your motherboard or better yet run this and post details:
Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!

Also having plenty of air movement within the case can also help. Do you have any case fans running?

Hi,
it was another bugcheck 124 so could be heat related.

I also notice your running Kaspersky AV. We always recommend third party AV suites be removed as a test as many bsod's originate from a borked anti virus app so it's worth trying.

The other thing was I couldn't seem to find any chipset drivers and these are critical for proper system running.

Can you post the make and model of your motherboard or better yet run this and post details:
Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!

Also having plenty of air movement within the case can also help. Do you have any case fans running?

That's strange. Thank you for this information, I'm using Dashlane, Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, maybe all of those background programs are stressing the cpu even more. I'll disable these until I get a better cooler, thanks. (After disabling all three my temps dropped by two degrees to 44)

Edit: Also which thermal paste do you think I should purchase with the Dark Rock 4 PRO?

Attachments

• motherboard.png
    motherboard.png
    191 KB · Views: 408
  • specs.png
    specs.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I'm using Dashlane, Kaspersky and Malwarebytes,
Leave malwarebytes just for that added protection.

As for thermal paste, you'll probably find some comes with the cooler but in any case whats already been suggested will do ( see above) especially as it's non conductive.

Tried to access your support page but for some reason it won't appear.

I did find a chipset driver here (which i tested first):
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/M...-rev-1-0-Intel-Chipset-Driver-10-1-1-38.shtml

Last edited:
I use Arctic Ceramique but to be honest they're all much alike.

Thanks, might as well get that one then.

Leave malwarebytes just for that added protection.

As for thermal paste, you'll probably find some comes with the cooler but in any case whats already been suggested will do ( see above) especially as it's non conductive.

Tried to access your support page but for some reason it won't appear.

I did find a chipset driver here (which i tested first):
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/M...-rev-1-0-Intel-Chipset-Driver-10-1-1-38.shtml

Strange that it isn't appearing.
Anyways I tried to download the drivers you sent me but it's asking me "a newer version is already installed, are you sure you want to downgrade?" . Also the computer store that built my pc said intel cpu's shouldn't go over 60, even with a bad cooler. The place told me only amd cpu's do that and that something might not be connected right, do you think that could be it? Should I let him try that before I buy the Dark Rock?
Sorry for all of this, thanks again for your help!

They lied to you, Intel go over 60 and so do AMD. Depending on the cooler. An example my AMD system is sat here idle at 29c and under load never goes above 65. I'm using a 240MM AIO on it's silent preset. Kemical has a similar system better AIO and gets slightly better temps.

A 212 Evo is a good cooler, just not for 7700K and above. You could let him have a look as it is possible it's not seated correctly, though personally I'd go for a better cooler regardless.

"a newer version is already installed, are you sure you want to downgrade?
Oh ok, leave it then.

Yeah, whether it's down to inexperience or they are just plain bullshitting you but almost all of the higher end Intel chips run warm, very warm and the 7700K is known for running particularly hot.
The tjmax for your chip is 100c so it can run easily at 80c and not do any damage. Once it hit's 100c however that's when the chip will either start to throttle or bsod.

However, personally, I try and keep my components running as cool as possible and even though the chip is happy at 80c I wouldn't like to see it running at that. I would do what i could to get somewhere reasonable temp wise probably employing a good cooler to do so.

How have things been going? Any bsod's? If so it's always worth uploading them as the more we see the better.

They lied to you, Intel go over 60 and so do AMD. Depending on the cooler. An example my AMD system is sat here idle at 29c and under load never goes above 65. I'm using a 240MM AIO on it's silent preset. Kemical has a similar system better AIO and gets slightly better temps.

A 212 Evo is a good cooler, just not for 7700K and above. You could let him have a look as it is possible it's not seated correctly, though personally I'd go for a better cooler regardless.

Thank you, I'm just going to go ahead and borrow some money somewhere to buy it asap.

Oh ok, leave it then.

Yeah, whether it's down to inexperience or they are just plain bullshitting you but almost all of the higher end Intel chips run warm, very warm and the 7700K is known for running particularly hot.
The tjmax for your chip is 100c so it can run easily at 80c and not do any damage. Once it hit's 100c however that's when the chip will either start to throttle or bsod.

However, personally, I try and keep my components running as cool as possible and even though the chip is happy at 80c I wouldn't like to see it running at that. I would do what i could to get somewhere reasonable temp wise probably employing a good cooler to do so.

How have things been going? Any bsod's? If so it's always worth uploading them as the more we see the better.

In total I've had 12 BSOD's, but now that I've disabled all of the background programs I ran before, stopped rendering and gaming, and ran fewer tasks I haven't had any BSOD's since yesterday. If I do get one I'll remember to save the minidump and upload it.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but the guy from yesterday told me he was going to charge me at least €50,- for removing the motherboard and everything and mount the new cooler if I were to still buy it. Is that a fair price in your opinion? I'm not even sure he knows what he's talking about anymore and if I will still have him do anything.

Thanks for everything! I'm so glad I finally found out the cause and am at least able to use my pc for light tasks right now.

Sorry for asking so many question
No worries, that's what we are here for.. :)

the guy from yesterday told me he was going to charge me at least €50
I'm not sure what the going rate is for such a job but 50 Euro sounds a tad excessive especially after the overheating issue which is kinda their fault.

As with most things it's almost always more desirable to obtain two or more quotes, if possible of course. Try phoning and asking for a quote from other vendors and you'll soon learn where the land lies in regards to price.

Any self respecting professional system builder would offer some kind of warranty and I think they have done you a disservice by firstly not trying to rectify the problem and then wanting to charge you more money for what is basically their mistake.

I would definitely try someone else if you can or at least get a quote.

Lastly, have you considered trying to change the cooler over yourself?

Last edited:
If they built the machine it's really on them to solve this issue without charging you. 50 euro is about right but not as they're responsible for the last cooler.

I selected the parts myself and bought them, I then searched for a place to just assemble the parts. Yes they should've told me straight away because according to them the finished pc was "tested" but I'm not sure if that's still their responsibility.
But I'll see if I can get it done for a cheaper price, or get it done somewhere else for a cheaper price.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm back again. And you have no idea how mad I got. So they were going to charge me €50 anyways so I went to the computerstore right next to them and they found out why the Hyper 212 LED wasn't cooling well enough. I won't even tell you, I'll show you a picture. You'll see it straight away.
The horrible told me they "tested" it and it ran well for one and a half days. Which is impossible with it not being cooled at all. The other store found out the cause of my old problem and installed the Dark Rock Pro 4 for €40
The cooler was too big tho so they had to install it upside down.

Instead of apologizing the horrible store told me "they're human and they made mistakes." And "it's my fault because I didn't bring the pc to them"

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_124915.jpg
    IMG_20190221_124915.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 368
Wow...

Thankfully it seems your chip has survived the blunder and I hope that particular place eventually meets their 'karma'

They should have at least offered you some sort of recompense for all the time and trouble.

Oh well, at least your good to go now, yes.. :)

Wow...

Thankfully it seems your chip has survived the blunder and I hope that particular place eventually meets their 'karma'

They should have at least offered you some sort of recompense for all the time and trouble.

Oh well, at least your good to go now, yes.. :)

It's crazy how they had the nerve to tell me it's my fault. But at least my temps are great! It's about 30 degrees when idling and 60 when stressing it.

Thank you for all your help. If you didn't help me I would've had to spend way more on a new chip...

Thank goodness you got it fixed, but such a rookie mistake from a shop really is unforgivable.

Back