Windows 10 *HELP* Unexpected BSOD while rendering video and doing the usual on chrome

I just got another bsod. Should I be worried. What do you think the cause could be?

Attachments

• dump 5-12-2019 12.03pm.dmp
    604.8 KB · Views: 327
Well the dump files keeps blaming the cpu's internal timer so it's perhaps time we ran a few hardware tests.

I checked back and I don't think you've ran any of these tests so let's see what turns up:

Check your cpu is ok by running the following tool:
Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Stress test your cpu by running Prime95 (watch the temps closely) run for about an hour.

Test your RAM:
How to Test PC RAM with MemTest86

Check your motherboard support page for any bios updates.

I ran the MemTest which took a little under three hours to complete. Then I ran the intel diagnostic tool.
I haven't stressed the cpu with Prime95 yet but here's the result of the memtest and the intel tool.

Which options do you think I should choose in prime95?

Attachments

• stresstest.png
    stresstest.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 20190513_164250.jpg
    20190513_164250.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 369
Hi again, here are the results:
First couple minutes: my cpu usage is 99% but it's only 50 degrees (celcius)
15 minutes of stressing: my cpu usage is 100% and it's around 65 degrees (celcius)
30 minutes of stressing: my cpu usage is 100% and it's around 80 degrees (celcius)
45 minutes of stressing: my cpu usage is still 100% but the cpu is now about 85 degrees celcius. That's pretty hot considering I have a dark rock pro 4 that's supposed to be cooling it
1 hour of stressing: my cpu usage is 100% and it's again around 65 degrees (celcius) so I'm relieved it didn't get any hotter

If using prime95 the different tests it uses create more or less heat. So during longer runs you'll notice it between 50 and 85c.

I haven't had a BSOD since I ran that driver booster program. But I think that program may have installed a faulty driver or something, because now when I try to play a game I get this:
cpu usage 100%, temps are low, but any game crashes after a few minutes

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 319
I have assassins creed: odyssey, and I have the same problem with that game, it seems like any game just crashes after a little while.

Edit: I turned my gpu fans to 100% and I stopped having the problem for the +-half an hour I was playing, maybe my gpu is overheating and shutting down? should I check with openhardwaremonitor?

Does anyone know if keeping gpu fans at 90% is bad or not?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Update: So I think it was my gpu that kept failing and causing my games to not work properly. Since changing the fan speed to 100% using openhardwaremonitor helped. My gpu usage was 100% in both games and my gpu temps were around 90 degrees but changing the fan speed got temps down to 70 and I don't have any errors. But the fans make a lot of noise at 100% and it doesn't sound too good in there.

Update: So I think it was my gpu that kept failing and causing my games to not work properly. Since changing the fan speed to 100% using openhardwaremonitor helped. My gpu usage was 100% in both games and my gpu temps were around 90 degrees but changing the fan speed got temps down to 70 and I don't have any errors. But the fans make a lot of noise at 100% and it doesn't sound too good in there.
Apologies for getting back to you sooner..

Running the fans at 100% won't hurt it but as you say it does get loud.

Have the temps only recently become an issue? The reason i ask is because I wonder whats changed.

It might be the case that the thermal paste on the gpu has dried up but let me know about the above please.

Apologies for getting back to you sooner..

Running the fans at 100% won't hurt it but as you say it does get loud.

Have the temps only recently become an issue? The reason i ask is because I wonder whats changed.

It might be the case that the thermal paste on the gpu has dried up but let me know about the above please.

I will have to get that checked out then. I was running World Of Tanks on ULTRA (the highest) settings, but it was fine when I got the computer built back in december.

The thermal paste on the gpu was applied in december, so it could have been applied wrong like with my cpu...
Getting it checked out would cost me a lot.

Hmm... What is the air flow in your case like?

It's always desirable to have a good airflow and if you have fans at the front pulling air in and fans extracting out of the back or top of the case then even better.
If you don't have any fans at all then depending on your case design it's quite easy to add some.

Do you know what actual case you have and could you post if you have any fans pulling clean air in and extracting hot air out.

Hmm... What is the air flow in your case like?

It's always desirable to have a good airflow and if you have fans at the front pulling air in and fans extracting out of the back or top of the case then even better.
If you don't have any fans at all then depending on your case design it's quite easy to add some.

Do you know what actual case you have and could you post if you have any fans pulling clean air in and extracting hot air out.

Well the be quiet dark rock pro 4 doesn't really fit in the case. So the people there had to install it upside down. But they said it shouldn't affect air flow. They charged me 40€ just to install the cooler...
Here are two pictures of the inside:
IMG_20190530_165639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_165712.jpg
    IMG_20190530_165712.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20190530_165712.jpg
    IMG_20190530_165712.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 308
Just kept my fan speed at 60% while gaming. My gpu temps were around 50-60 degrees. Yet I got this:
What do you think? Signs of a bad gpu? Yesterday I removed my driver with DDU and reinstalled it, I reinstalled the chipset drivers too...

I just got the gigabyte XTreme gaming engine. Here are the settings. I just changed the fan to turn on way faster. But it's still crashing.
Should I try changing anything else?

Update: I saw a tutorial where the person turned the gpu clock to -200. That's a bit too low I think so I turned it to -20 but so far it hasn't crashed. I'll play for +- an hour. If it hasn't crashed maybe that could've solved it?

If there is anything I could change please do let me know

thank you!!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Hi,

many thanks for the pictures as they do help.

The reason why your gpu doesn't pump air out of the case like the cpu fan because of it's design.

Graphic cards which push air out of the case are usually known as blower types of cards. The design you have ( like mine too) allows the hot air to simply spill into the case.

It looks like your cpu fan is the only fan extracting all that heat.

What you could do is fit a couple of 120mm or 140mm fans pulling clean air in at the front.

To better extract the heat you could try attaching 120mm or 140mm fan to the top underside of the case.

Here's a photo of the machine I built, notice how i have fans pulling air in at the front and fans blowing it back out at the top:

Update: I saw a tutorial where the person turned the gpu clock to -200. That's a bit too low I think so I turned it to -20 but so far it hasn't crashed. I'll play for +- an hour. If it hasn't crashed maybe that could've solved it?
Yup this is another way of dropping the temps or stress your card is recieving and won't harm the card at all.

So what you could do is use the card like that until you can attach some fans. I'll certainly help with any advice should you need it.

Glad to hear you at least found a solution of sorts.

I see. I only have one small corsair fan in the front, the one that came with the be quiet. So I should add two more little fans at the front of the case?
Should I try adding one fan at the top too?
Do you think this is something I could do myself? I have never done anything inside of my computer. So I am a beginner...
Which fans would you recommend?

I will try dropping the gpu clock a bit more then, since so far I haven't had any crashes yet!

Thank you!

Back