Windows 7 Help: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change...

sudokujesus

A couple days ago I began getting this message when I try to boot into Windows. It goes on to tell me a required device is inaccessible.

So I follow the on screen recommendations of putting in my Win7 DVD and trying to automatically fix the issue. It didn't work. I tried it several times (and sent the error report to Microsoft...).

But where do I go from here? The thought of having to reinstall Windows makes me want to gag. And quite frankly, that doesn't make any sense. I haven't installed any major software or hardware recently.

Are there any external devices not connected that might have been earlier? Have you added or removed and hard drives or changed any drive order in the bios?

I assume it boots normally to the Win 7 DVD? Does it find a Win 7 install? Have you run the start-up repair 3 times?

Any chance your hard drive is going bad? Some other type of corruption might be causing problems, which might be anything from a virus to overheating problems, to memory issues.

Are there any external devices not connected that might have been earlier? Have you added or removed and hard drives or changed any drive order in the bios?

I assume it boots normally to the Win 7 DVD? Does it find a Win 7 install? Have you run the start-up repair 3 times?

Any chance your hard drive is going bad? Some other type of corruption might be causing problems, which might be anything from a virus to overheating problems, to memory issues.

I have a few external devices that plug into USB ports. One is for my Logitech Dinovo Edge mouse/keyboard. Incidentally, it works when I have to press F12 or F8 or del to enter bios/settings/whatever, but it doesn't work when I boot into the Windows 7 setup. So I just use a different wired keyboard.

I also have a webcam and a memory card reader. These were sometimes plugged in when booting, sometimes not. I haven't been able to get Windows to boot correctly with any combination of them plugged in or not.

It does boot normally into Windows 7. I get a message that says press any key to boot from CD/DVD, and I do, and it boots into it. I've run the self-fix option 3 times and with no luck.

I suppose it is possible my hard drive is going bad, but it is only a few months old and I've had no issues with it at all to this point.

When will Microsoft create an operating system that isn't so flaky?

One other thing of note... the partition size that it finds the Windows 7 install on says 0MB (it is a 500GB drive in a single partition).

Try Disk Defragmenter?
I understand that you cant boot into windows but you said you could boot into Windows with the CD in.
If I'm incorrect disregard this message >.>

Yeah, I can't get to the disk defragmenter.

When I say I can boot into Windows with the disk in, I mean I can boot into the Setup, I pick my language, and then attempt to fix it. But I can't actually get Windows 7.

Yeah, so i was thinking of System Recovery discs but i doubt you have an HP Computer or System recovery discs.
I could think of installing 7 on another disc and then formatting your C:\, and moving all your stuff back.

First I might suggest if you get back into Win 7 that you try using a different keyboard and mouse for a while to test. It seems a little funny the keyboard only works in Windows and not other things.

To check the condition of your hard drive, boot to the Install DVD and go to the Command Prompt.

Type the following with enter after:

Diskpart
list disk
select disk 0 <-- if this is what is shown as the 500 G drive
detail disk <-- make note of any or all partitions and their specs.
select partition 1 <-- if this shows as you Win 7 install
detail partition <-- make note of specs, especially is it active
exit

You can shorten the commands by typing just the first 3 letters of each word

Post back with what you see.

I still believe something is corrupting your install. If you do not think it is the hard drive, possibly something more expensive and harder to replace might be causing it. I would really push HP and tell them about the 0 size for the partition and any info you get from the above.

It might even be something about the chipset drivers being used might need updating.

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click next

3. Click "repair your computer."

4. you are done

One other thing of note... the partition size that it finds the Windows 7 install on says 0MB (it is a 500GB drive in a single partition).

Ok... boot into windows Setup. Let it load and get right up to the part where you can format the hard disk... At the bottom of the dialog you should see an icon for "More" ... if you click that you should be able to see tha partitions on your hard disk... What does it show you?

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click next

3. Click "repair your computer."

4. you are done

Not always... If there's a boot loader but no system partition the repair installer will fail.

Ok... boot into windows Setup. Let it load and get right up to the part where you can format the hard disk... At the bottom of the dialog you should see an icon for "More" ... if you click that you should be able to see tha partitions on your hard disk... What does it show you?

I don't see an option for more, but when I get to the point where I select what drive I want to install on, I see all my hard drives and partitions with the correct amount of free space.

Back