Windows 7 Help with windows backup file

knirb01

I have a backup file that worked a couple of weeks ago. I just reinstalled windows and find that the backup file wont work anymore. I keep get this error message:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Am I correct in assuming that I'm screwed? All the files I had on that backup was on my computer before I reinstalled windows. Should I just try to recover my files? I have Stellar Recovery and win 7 64bit btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that your backup file was not stored on the partition into which you have reinstalled Windows - did you previously have a partition which has disappeared after you Windows reinstall?

no,I only had one partition. I stored the backup file on an external hd.

*EDIT*
I also check the properties on the backup file and it says 0 bytes.

Last edited:
when I connect my external hd with the backup file on it, to my laptop it still gives me the same error message, but in the properties it does show the correct file size, 235 GB. So I know that the back up file should be still good, what's going on with this?

*EDIT*
I just tried something. When I was in the backup and restore area there was a link in the bottom left that said "Windows easy transfer" I clicked just out of curiosity and was able to actually get into my backup file and see some of the folders such as the Backup set folder, but no files. Is there any software out there that can read windows back up files and restore them?

Last edited:
Thanks but that didn't work. I figured it out though. Since the backup files are stored as zip files and can simply extract them with winrar. It's over 1400 zip files but at least I have my documents :)

Back