Windows 7 Help would be much appreciated!

SabinHD

Hey PC users!
I'm new here but I have a serious problem with lag on my computer and came here to ask the experts for help, because quite frankly, I'm exhausted from dealing with this situation.

Here are my specs:
System Model: HP-Pavilion p6210y
Prosesser: AMD Athlon (tm) II X4 620 Processer (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Page file: 1783MB used, 9988MB available
DirctX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100

To be honest, I haven't the slighted idea what most of this stuff means. All I know is about my problem. Let me explain.

I'm a bit of a gamer, and for over 6 months I've had massive lag during random points during gameplay. MASSIVE lag. It feel like 5 FPS at times.
I've done everything. I've played less graphically ellabrate games. I've changed the game graphics to the lowest setting. I've uninstalled tons of programs off my computer. I've turned my OS graphics to the lowest settings. I've gotten rid of useless files. I've done virus scans. I've defragged.
No avail.

These random spurts of lag happen about 10-20 minutes within gameplay and last about 30 minutes unless I exit the program. Even moving my browser window around is laggy.
It's not just within big programs. It's also during my "Ribbons" screensaver.

I'm not about to take my computer into Geek Squad and let some jerk tinker with my computer. I'm sure that the problem is being overlooked by my untrained and inexperienced eye. And so that's why I'm coming to you guys.

I'm not a computer expert, but I know my way around pretty well.
Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. HP loaded a TON of pre-programs onto my computer that I've never used that just take up space. Anyone know how to decipher which programs are essential vs non-essential? I'd like more storage room.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
-SabinHD

Welcome to the forums, SabinHD.

What games and what resoluions do you experience those lags at? Is there anything running in the background during the gameplay?

Disabling PhysX might help.

Welcome to the forums, SabinHD.

What games and what resoluions do you experience those lags at? Is there anything running in the background during the gameplay?

Disabling PhysX might help.

I play a handful of different games.

Toontown Online
Pirates of the Caribbean Online
MapleStory
Combat Arms
Wizard 101
Vindictus
Lord of the Rings Online.
I also play Warcraft III, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

I play them all on the lowest graphic settings possible, but I still have God-awful amounts of lag.
The most that's ever running in the background is iTunes or Chrome. But I'll usually exit out of those in hopes that the lag ceases.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but how do I disable PhysX?

Thank you for your reply!
-SabinHD

Hi

I play Lord of the Rings Online myself and the game does have times when it lags some but you might try showing the network connectivity icon in the game and see what your latency is running at when you see the lag.

To do this you go to Options, UI Settings, and activate "Show Connection Status in Alert Panel".
Your Latency should probably be in the 50 to 60 MS range normally, it it goes way up when you are lagging then this problem may be related to your connection.

Your computer certainly seems adequate for running these games, but you could try using DX 10 instead of DX 11.

You don't have to install a different version just tell the game to use DX 10.

You could set you page file manually, to about 1.5 times what your ram is.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404939.html

You could install HWMonitor and see if the temperature on the components is getting high.

HWMonitor - Download

Run CCleaner

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If none of that helps then it might be some kind of hardware issue which takes it beyond my power to diagnose, but maybe someone else here could suggest something.

It's possible that it could be a ram issue, there are apps to test that.

MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows

I have had problems with my mouse acting up periodically for years and still haven't figured out why!

As a last resort you can run a repair install of Windows 7 and see if that cleans up the problem.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom