Windows 7 Hibernation directly back into hibernation

Stephen

I've seen some very similar threads, but I did not find one that seemed to be the exact issue... or at least one with an answer.

If this is a repeat, I'm sorry. Please direct me to the forum with the answer!

So when my computer goes into hibernation (I believe only then), and I try to wake it up, it turns on, goes through the loading and "Resuming Windows" screen, and then it turns black again. The power button remains completely illuminated, but the computer is unresponsive for about 45 seconds before the power light turns off, and I can press it again the computer actually wakes up.

It's been happening for quite some time, but I haven't really taken logs to find out exactly when this happens. I believe it is when I let it go into hibernation on its own, and not when I put it into hibernation myself.

I've been through all of the power options and advanced power options and found no answers. Help is greatly appreciated, and again, sorry if this is a repeat. I don't use forums much, and thus I'm generally bad at finding what I need.

Thanks!

Steve

Windows 7 Hibernate Problem
power_hybrid2.jpg

There are at least two different types of hibernation problems. One problem is that your computer is not waking up properly. Alternatively your problem is there is no Hibernate option on the Windows 7 Shut Down menu. In both cases check the 'Allow hybrid sleep' setting.

1) For any hibernation problems the easiest solution is to set 'Allow hybrid sleep' to: 'Off'. (See screenshot).

By design, hybrid incorporates both Sleep and Hibernate, thus you only see Sleep on the Shutdown menu. Also, by default, desktops are set to 'Allow hybrid sleep :On'.

Trap: Before you can change any of the Balanced settings, first you must click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. (See screenshot)

2) Another problem with hibernation is caused because Windows 7 does not have enough free disk space for hiberfil.sys. My machine needed 4 GB, the size of my RAM.

3) An over-active Disk Cleanup program may cause the Hibernate option to disappear. If Hibernate does not appear on the Shutdown menu, then open a command prompt and check with:
Powercfg -q
If this was your problem, for future reference you could remove the tick next to 'Hibernation File Cleaner' in the Disk Cleanup settings.
Next turn on Hibernate with:
Powercfg -h on

3a) Check for errors with:
Powercfg -energy

Incidentally, Powercfg -energy gave me errors and warnings - even when the computer awoke from sleep gracefully. However, the point is that the information in the html report may point you to which devices need further investigation and driver updates.

Take a look at this site fir more good information and troubleshooting tips!
Source: Windows 7 Sleep Problems | Hibernate Troubleshooting

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Thanks so much for that response. VERY helpful. I did not know about the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" button. I find it funny that exists. I guess it's a mod thing, but it's funny when the only account is mod.

Anyway, I changed that. For now, I will leave it there and see if the problem persists. Than you again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom