Windows 7 home network setup

Boomer69

I am running Win. 7 HP... I have wi-fi router set up from my modem to another desktop that is working properly. I am wired from router to my computer. My computer funtions properly but cannot connect to home network....
What am I doing wrong, or what have I failed to do right... lol

network set up

I have a router wired from my modem to my computer...then wireless to another computer. Both computers have Win7 and can access the internet. To me, that means no bad connections or wireless problems...????
Yet when I try to access home network, my computer cannot find my other computer.... I have never networked, so am a complete novice. What am I doing wrong, or failing to do?

all helpful comments appreciated
Boomer69

Re: network set up

Boomer69;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
First of all if you have chosen to join a "HomeGroup" leave it. Leave a homegroup
Then make any adjustments to both computer's workgroup name to make sure they are the same. Join or create a workgroup
Then open the Network and sharing Center and in the left column choose "Change advanced sharing settings" and under the "Home or Work" section turn on
network discovery
file and printer sharing
public folder sharing
password protected sharing
Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
Then type
services.msc into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
scroll as need to determine the state of the following services.
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig and hit enter
determine the IP address of the network adapter that each computer is using and then, again from a command prompt type
ping 192.168.nnn.nnn (the actual IP address of the other machine) and hit enter you should get four replys and then
again from a command prompt type
ping MachineName (the actual computer name of the other machine) again you should get four replys.
Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Boomer69;
Please refrain from double posting in the same forum or cross posting in multiple sub forums. I have merged both your threads here to help remedy any confusion. As you can see Joe S had already responded to one of your threads and I had responded to a completely different one unaware that you had created two. This results in complications and confusion.
Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Thank you so much, it was the TCP/IP helper that wasn't started...
It is a treat for me to be enabled by such knowledgeable folks here.
thanks again
Boomer69

Glad to hear that you've apparently been able to resolve your issue. Thanks for the update and posting back to let us know. Hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Back