Windows 7 HomeGroup not working correctly

adduncan

Just set up a homegroup using 2 pcs running Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7600), both pcs can see each other and connect to view the libraries

this is where the problem arises

when i try to open a library on the remote pc, it wont open it even though there are files in that area on the pc i am trying to access. it is exactly the same if i switch pcs and try to access the 1st one.

the homegroup password is correct as i have changed it to a more memorable one

any ideas why homegroup isnt working properly ?

cheers for any help in advance

You could dump Home Group a dubious feature and use user account sharing instead. Windows firewall has a nasty habit of turning itself back on if you turn it off. Try turning off password until you getting it to work. If this is a single user home computer I'd mark file sharing for everybody and allow full privileges. Networking and File Sharing need a lot of work as far as I'm concerned.
Joe

My current internet security program has windows firewall completely disabled.

As for my network layout, it's 2 pcs connected wirelessly using my internet router (Thomson/O2 Wireless Box II)

I'm also having trouble with HomeGroup on my 2 Windows 7 Home Premium laptops, networked through a wireless access point in my house. I have no problems viewing HomeGroup computers; they all appear correctly. But when I try to access any files by clicking on the library folders, I only get a 'beep' and the folders will never open. No error messages, just no files show. This doesn't make sense.

I'm with Joe. Never did get to the bottom and understanding of the value of home groups. On my home lan which, when my kids/grandkids, are visiting, can be on average five computers running with cross paltforms, I have always just used normal sharing. - Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom