Windows 10 Search not working correctly in Google Chrome?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This is a weird one.
I posted a while back about internet searches not working as well as they used to.

Well today I was looking for the address of some one I haven't seen in a long time that we are going to have lunch with.

I typed in, (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) "Dick Dufus" Charlotte MI.
What I got as a result was "We found Charlotte Dick". no reference to Dick Dufus at all even though it was in quotes.

I tried the search several different ways of asking, but I couldn't get anything that made any sense.

I tried just the name, expecting to get every one named Dick Dufus in the US and got nothing related to the name.

My wife said let me try on my computer and she immediately got Dick Dufus, and his address phone number etc.

I tried typing exactly what she did and I still didn't find what I was looking for.

I changed default search engines from Google to Bing, same results.

Then I tried using Edge.
I typed in my original search "Dick Dufus" Charlotte MI. and it came up with exactly who I was looking for!

What's going on here?
As I said I've noticed for a long time that I'm having issues finding what I want when I do a search.

But why just in Chrome, and it doesn't matter what I choose as the default search engine.

I'm glad to finally find out that it's Chrome that's causing the problem but I've used Chrome for years and don't really want to change.

Anyone have any ideas.

Mike

PS. I've run all my malware scanners and found nothing.

Last edited:
Hi

Before I did as you suggested I uninstalled Chrome, cleaned my registry and reinstalled Chrome.
It didn't make any difference at all I still typed in the name I was looking for and got something completely different.

Then I did as you suggested.

Woo Hoo!

I typed in the same search and go a dozen hits with his name in the head line.

Thanks for the help, I would never have figured that out on my own.

Mike

No problem, but if you do want to use the predictors, try re-enable the predict URL and close out of chrome. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default and rename or remove the Network Action Predictor file. Reload Chrome and it will start over to build this file

Back