Windows 7 Homegroup shares disappearing after server reboot

kkkiwi

I've been going in circles on this for a while now and have yet to fix the issue.

Computer A is acting a a file server. It has two external hard drives plugged into it. These drives contain music, movies, photos, etc. I share each media folder by right-clicking it and going Share With -> Homegroup (Read/Write). Everything works fine - I can see the shared folders on computers B and C.

If computer A is restarted, the shares disappear. If the shared folder is on C drive, no problem, it will come back. It just seems to be that if they are on an external drive they disappear and cannot be seen by other computers. I have tried adding the external folders as a target location to the default Homegroup Library folders, but the issue persists. I have to go back to Computer A and add them to the Homegroup again, then they can be seen on the other computers.

Network Discovery is ON, File and Printer Sharing is ON, Public Folder Sharing is ON, Media Streaming is ON, 128 bit encryption, Password Protected Sharing is ON, Windows manages Homegroup connections.

All computers are in the same Workgroup. Antivirus is Security Essentials, Windows Firewall is ON on all machines.

All computers are running Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, connected via hardwired LAN.

Any help would be appreciated, this one is really kicking my butt.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Back