Windows 7 Host Process for Windows Tasks has stopped working

iroken22

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
I get an error message 3-4 times daily saying that the windows host process has stopped working. I am using Build 6956. I am doing normal things that i always do like build web applications, searching the internet, and writing a word document. It appears out of no where. I have attached a screenshot of the error message. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

That's a wierd one... I haven't had that happen to me yet though I've been using IE8 more than Firefox. Could it be a result of Firefox crashing? As in it crashing is causing the "task manager" to crash...

Does it only do it when your running multiple tabs in firefox? or just randomly.. I only ask because I remember another member posting that he was having a hard time in general when he had multiple tabs opened in Firefox on Windows 7 build 6956.. I'll try to find that post, maybe it could provide some help for ya. ;)

It could be a result of firefox. I usually have anywhere from 15-20 tabs open at a time. I have had a lot of problems when trying to switch tabs. I click on another tab and it says its on the tab but the main screen doesnt change. and then the graphics all mess up and it freezes. So yes it may be a firefox issue. I will stop using firefox for right now and let you know if the crash happens again.

I get the same post, it happendx once every hour. I have tried to set all hosting to off and it still is doing it.

I will also note I have two computers running Windows 7.

The one running a E-8400 has this problem.

The one running a QX-6850 Extream does not have this problem. And this computer smokes with Windows 7, love it

Last edited:
Yes. I get it to. I am sure it is a bug but should we care. Its an internal releases which we shouldn't even have. hang in for the beta.

Well said davehc.. I have a feeling alot of the errors we've been getting are because of the fact that we're using an alpha build, but like you said it is an internal build that we shouldn't even have.. so waiting for the Beta is the best advice, it's just unfortunate because I'm sure some of these bugs will turn a few people off of 7.. and then the stupid comparisons to Vista will start and ultimately some people won't even give 7 a chance before it's even in Beta stages... but that's the way she goes unfortunately...

I started to see this a few days ago on my laptop. It will happen even if the laptop is just sitting there with only the desktop screen showing. I just hit Cancel and carry on. It isn't too intrusive.

On another system, a desktop, I haven't seen this happen.

I hope this will help. I got the same problem and now it's gone.

1. Open up Task Scheduler.
  2. Expand and go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> RAC.
  3. Click on View menu, and then enable Show Hidden Tasks (so that a tick appear beside it).
  4. Right click on RACAgent (Windows Vista) or RACTask (Windows 7), and select Disable so that the status appears as Disabled.
Source :
Link Removed - Not Found

I hope this will help. I got the same problem and now it's gone.

1. Open up Task Scheduler.
  2. Expand and go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> RAC.
  3. Click on View menu, and then enable Show Hidden Tasks (so that a tick appear beside it).
  4. Right click on RACAgent (Windows Vista) or RACTask (Windows 7), and select Disable so that the status appears as Disabled.
Source :
Host Process for Windows Services Has Stopped Working Error - Workaround Fix » My Digital Life
this solution works perfectly. Thank You for providing it.

I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing this same issue. I have gone through the same steps and continue to experience this error message (which is quite irritating as I use multimedia applications full screen on-line). I did do a little research and could only come up with the possible lead that I DO use Firefox. I use the Windows 7 64-bit ultimate edition.

Thank You for any assistance :)

You might check the Event Viewer to see if any error messages are showing up about this situation. Double clicking the error listing will open a window explaining more about the error. Copy what it says or use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach using the paperclip on Advanced replies.

Maybe someone will recognize something. There may also be a message about a solution in the Action Center. Check the messages, and also the Archived messages on the left of the window.

Back