Windows 8 How access Programs (between Windows accounts)

RIHTT

Hi.

For a long time ago, I installed thunderbird mail on my computer but realised after a while
that I accidently installed into the administrator account...with lots of configuration, imap,server syncs.

I wanted this program to be ran from the standard account instead! (using for regular day-to-day)
And didnt want to do it all over again,reinstall, etc so somehow I read guides and managed to share or point out the existing program to the other account and use it at will. I figured it out but thats 1-2 years ago.

Today, I am up against the same problem! :furious:

1.installed two programs using admin account, but I wanna create a standard account for
daily basis. And the idea is to run the programs from that account instead, not having to reinstall and such.
Please help?

these are 2 applications that I already have installed. I dont want to reinstall, I just want them to work
from standard account, or even better Guest if its possible? When I switch to guest account and launch the programs below, the installation process starts from scratch seperated and dont recognize that its already installed on the same computer but another account.

Vmware_player (existing virtual machine also! )
Steam

its awkard, embarassing that I cant pull this off. As you realise, there is also quite hard to deal with the vmware player, because the application also runs an existing virtual machine (that windows handle as a large file, tied to the account, profile..? )

Last edited:
If the vmware is installed to host c drive then the large file at boot is the v-page and v-swap files... this is a normal use of system resources and can be moved to a non-c drive but the vmware is not locked to that profile unless you have some strange file lock happening i.e. 3rd party software like bitlocker.

Is the host system W8 or w8.1? ... the admin account settings are mild different.

Hi.

That is not a problem.

look, I installed all my programs as the administrator (the account on this machine)
But I want to create a standard user , and then use those programs thats are already installed ...

If i sign into another account (or guest) and start vmware_player.
My existing virtual machine dont show up, instead the vmware initialize the installation process
as it would be the first time launched.

wich means, everything that I have done @admin account
dont mix or show up on the rest of the user,accounts.

But I want this, I have succesful done this before...

I run win 8.1

wich means, everything that I have done @admin account
dont mix or show up on the rest of the user,accounts.

But I want this, I have succesful done this before...

So if you open edit > preferences and look at the default path for your v-machines… does it point to a neutral location like d or f drive or have you got them stashed away in the main users documents folders?
Screenshot (349).png

I don't use the free demo version but in workstation you can share files across multi-users as long as they have permission to look in the folder where the v-files are stored... in any event I'd reinstall vmware after adding your extra account.

Back
Top Bottom