Windows 7 How do change windows 7 32bit to 64bit?

kezam

How do i change from windows 7 32bit to 64bit?
Do I have to reinstall, i have no windows 7 disc it came already on my computer.
If i do have to reinstall how do i do it and what about my norton and other programs etc how to i save them?
Need help...

Hi Kezam,

To upgrade to 64bit you will need to purchase a copy of Windows 7 64bit and yes it will need a full 'custom' install as you cannot upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.
Any programs you wish to use after the upgrade will either have to be backed up to another disk or copies burned to DVD/CD-ROM. Remember to make sure you have any install keys at hand if needed.

Once you have a copy of the 64bit version you'll need to boot from it. This means entering your system bios and changing the boot order so that CD/DVD is first.
Watch for the 'Press any key to boot from disk' prompt at boot up.
Remember to change this back once install is completed.

This 'how to' from Microsoft has further information but please post again if your unsure on anything..

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

Hi again, would it be easier to upgrade to windows 7 professional 64 bit, from a windows 7 home 32bit?
As a soloution to my above thread.
Would i still need to do back up and reinstall?

you cannot 'upgrade' from 32bit to 64bit and a fresh install or 'custom' install is needed. So in answer to your question, yes you would need to back up and re-install.

Back
Top Bottom