Windows 7 How do I allow access to two computers from each other?

Nisko

I have two computers - both in the same Homegroup. They both show up in my network map - but I don't know how to allow access to each from the other one. Also, I have a networked printer which does not show in the map. Shouldn't it? It works from both computers.

Homegroup is not enough. They both belong to the same Homegroup. Somehow, I have to give permission to each PC to access the other - and I don't know where to begin. It used to be so easy in Windows XP. Now, I'm lost!

When you say network map, are you referring to the map you get from the Network and Sharing center?

Have you opened the Network and Sharing center and looked at the "Change Advanced sharing settings"

Are you a common user on all computers using the same password?

The answers are Yes, No and Yes. Forum wouldn't allow me to reply with a quote (not enough characters). Thank you.......

It seems to be a little different from my system, since only the primary computer shows in the Network map, Unless I turn off IPv6. Then all the computers show up. Of course, IPv6 is necessary for running a homegroup. I may need to do some research and figure how to set the IPv6 addresses so they will work together.

But I have always had the ability to connect to my other systems either through the homegroup or normal networking. I just don't use homegroup because it only allows (unless you add folders to the libraries) access to certain areas. But if you have a shared folder on another computer in your network, and it is set to share with a homegroup, or specific people, you should be able to access it.

I think the problem might be that one of my computers is a netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition.

It seems the limit on Starter is you can join a homegroup, but not start one. So you should be able to use a homegroup if it is set up on the other system and you join with the Netbook.

I did start the Homegroup on the laptop which has Windows 7 Home Premium. My Netbook (Windows Starter) came next and it also belongs to the same Homegroup. What I'm trying to do is bypass the public folders altogether since I control both PC's. I back up my Laptop to an external USB drive. Now, I would like to back up the Netbook to the same drive - but back it up from my Laptop - so I don't have to change the USB cable when I do this. I also want to be able to share any file or folder on each computer.

Not sure what you mean by "bypassing public folders" exactly, but you can remove them from the library so they won't show in the homegroup.

You will probably have to use the network option to back up your netbook, if the Starter Edition allows it, and maybe have to share the external drive with the homegroup. Or use normal network access.

Backing up two systems might be a problem, since Windows backup, at least the image, uses the same name for the image backup folders and overwrites a prior one.

I did start the Homegroup on the laptop which has Windows 7 Home Premium. My Netbook (Windows Starter) came next and it also belongs to the same Homegroup. What I'm trying to do is bypass the public folders altogether since I control both PC's. I back up my Laptop to an external USB drive. Now, I would like to back up the Netbook to the same drive - but back it up from my Laptop - so I don't have to change the USB cable when I do this. I also want to be able to share any file or folder on each computer.

If you wan to SHARE the files or drive you need to go in to the folder or drive and allow sharing. By default only the public folder is shared.

I hope I undersatnd what you want to do.

Hi There,

As per Microsoft

"Internet Connection Sharing. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can't use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share its Internet connection with other computers on the network. With Windows 7 Starter, you must use a router to share an Internet connection among several computers" Microsoft Website Networking in Windows 7 Starter

I am suggesting you to use a home edition instead of windows starter you don't have a lot of openings

Best Regards

Back