Windows 10 How do I cancel this?

oj43085

Hi,

I am stuck at this screen..by mistake I realized I wasn't downloading the ISO but rather initiating the upgrade on my daily use computer.

How can I get rid of this technical preview update?
Technical_Preview.png

I don't recall...my PC has been in this state for quite some time without a restart. (26 days uptime) So I don't remember clicking an install button. But I don't want to restart it, if I do it will begin to update. Can I cancel this job?

**EDIT** Err, sorry I think what you meant was the install button on the screenshot, no...no I have not clicked it.

I'm not sure if this possible but try right clicking on the above update and choosing 'Hide update'. If you already initiated the download then just hit cancel.

Yes, that is what I meant. I wanted to be sure you had not started the Win 10 Upgrade installing. And good you didn't or hadn't. X out of the Windows Update windows, close it. Next, open start menu & type View Update History, go there & make sure the Windows 10 Upgrade is not showing on the list. Next, go back to the Search box & type in Check for Updates. IF you find the Windows 10 Upgrade listed right click & look for Ignore or Hide and click on that. However, having never started it, closing the update window should get you out of the situation.

Then go back to where you get the Download for the ISO http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview & hit the Get Started button. The next page hit Join Now then the next page download the 64-bit or the 32-bit version. You save the download and then, you either burn it to a DVD & use that to dual-boot installing to another drive or partition, if you have one available OR you create a virtual machine of windows 10 using Microsoft VPC, since I see you are using Windows 7 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702
7 will direct burn ISOs to DVD. Rt Clk to ISO & select Burn Image. Although, when creating a VM to can just point to the ISO & not need to burn a DVD, @ all.

Since it was not started you should be able to get out of it. Please, let me know it all goes well. The good part is you realised what was about to happen & knew enough not to proceed.

Wiping out your production machine w/ a beta OS is, you're right, certainly, the wrong thing to do, so, kudos to you for that and for, apparently, aborting in time.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I am stuck at this screen..by mistake I realized I wasn't downloading the ISO but rather initiating the upgrade on my daily use computer.

How can I get rid of this technical preview update? View attachment 28570

Click at the blue words " Show all available updates" > you should be directed to next window > locate the Upgrade to Windows Technical Previews" update > UN-check the box in front > RIGHT click at the udate > click HIDE.

Yes, that is what I meant. I wanted to be sure you had not started the Win 10 Upgrade installing. And good you didn't or hadn't. X out of the Windows Update windows, close it. Next, open start menu & type View Update History, go there & make sure the Windows 10 Upgrade is not showing on the list. Next, go back to the Search box & type in Check for Updates. IF you find the Windows 10 Upgrade listed right click & look for Ignore or Hide and click on that. However, having never started it, closing the update window should get you out of the situation.

Then go back to where you get the Download for the ISO http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview & hit the Get Started button. The next page hit Join Now then the next page download the 64-bit or the 32-bit version. You save the download and then, you either burn it to a DVD & use that to dual-boot installing to another drive or partition, if you have one available OR you create a virtual machine of windows 10 using Microsoft VPC, since I see you are using Windows 7 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702
7 will direct burn ISOs to DVD. Rt Clk to ISO & select Burn Image. Although, when creating a VM to can just point to the ISO & not need to burn a DVD, @ all.

Since it was not started you should be able to get out of it. Please, let me know it all goes well. The good part is you realised what was about to happen & knew enough not to proceed.

Wiping out your production machine w/ a beta OS is, you're right, certainly, the wrong thing to do, so, kudos to you for that and for, apparently, aborting in time.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 28574
View attachment 28573

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the tips! Yep, in "Check for updates" I found that Windows 10 technical preview, it was ticked...I right click > hide this update

Then reload the update page, now I am seeing the Windows 7 updates.

oj43085,
Just in case......
Make sure you set your Windows Update at Manual installing updates.
Although you have now hidden the update, I am not sure what MS/Windows Update might do or not to do.
If your Windows Update is set at Auto, MS might just ignore what you did and go ahead and install it anyway.
It's better be safe than be sorry.

Back