How do I clean junk off my computer?

pratibha91

Hello Everyone,

Should I download any third-party software or use disk cleanup in windows that will help to get rid of this?

Every thought will be appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Microsoft MVP
Most people use Cleaner 0 reliable and safe.

Get the free version - take care to make sure you select the right options to avoid installing the wrong version or any add-ons you don't want! I usually run disk cleanup first then ccleaner. You should consider the option to clean up system files - this will often give you massive additional space but will prevent you uninstalling any recent updates. I usually run Macrium Reflect (free!) to enable recovery to an earlier Windows installation.

Neemobeer

Cyber Security Engineer
Staff member
CCleaner is considered adware now a days. Microsoft doesn't recommend any third party cleaner utilities and they really are not needed

bassfisher6522

Essential Member
Microsoft doesn't recommend any third party cleaner utilities and they really are not needed
I would generally concur with that statement.....BUT.... MS makes it so cumbersome for the beginner/novice to the intermediate to do such simple tasks that most users, including myself, that likes the simplicity of a 3rd party app to do the job. Just my opinion.

FWIWI: I've been a long time user of Ccleaner and even when they were bought out and the bloatware was added....it still did/does do the job very well. I just recently switched to System Ninja.....no mus no fuss as Ccleaner was back in the day.

Neemobeer

Cyber Security Engineer
Staff member
I'll admit Microsoft doesn't clean up everything, but I think it's a matter of perspective. Some of the items CCleaner cleanus up Microsoft considers normal function data. I run a custom script for work systems that can develop space issues with heavy use.