Windows 7 How Do I Connect My Laptop To My PC?

byronwells

Alrigth Guys

I am having major problems at the moment. I have been trying for hours but I can not seem to figure out what to do..

I have recently gone out and brought a laptop that is running Windows 7 Home on it and I would like to connect it to my Pc which is running Windows 7 Ultimate on it so that I can transfers the files from my pc to it..

But that is where the problem lies.. I have tried everything but I can not connect between the both of them..

I even went out and brough at crossover ethernet cable and plug it into the laptop and then directly into the pc, and still nothing..

Windows 7 Ultimate is already telling me that there is a homegroup create, but I cant get the password at all. I even tried to change it and then it tells me that there is no homegroup connect, even though on the previous screen it says there is one..

So I am completely baffled.

I really need someone help!!!

Last edited:
Don't worry about homegroups for now. Just make sure that both PCs are in the same workgroup to save any complications. Then determine the IP address of each machine and when the are connected make sure that you can ping them both, one from the other by IP address for now.

Right how do I make sure that they are both in the same work group?? And if they arent how do I make it so that they are??

Right click computer and choose properties. Look under the section that says "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" if they are not in the same workgroup name, if not click the change link and change one or the other so they match

You may also find you need manually to set the IP addresses on one or both machines to ensure compatibility and no conflicts.

Right click computer and choose properties. Look under the section that says "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" if they are not in the same workgroup name, if not click the change link and change one or the other so they match

Ive gone to my computer, right click and choose properties.. But I dont see no computer name, etc... part

For computer name goto control panel, system. At the bottom of the page you will see computer name and workgroup name - click on the change settings if you need to make sure the workgroup names are the same - you can make thm whatever you wish.

For the IP addresses got control panel, network and sharing centre, change adapter settings. Right click on the local area connection and select properties. Single click on Internet Protocol version 4 (make sure you do not click on version 6 by mistake). Click on the properties command. In the new window which opens click on the option to "use the following IP address". On one of the pc's set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Do exactly the same with the other pc but set the IP address to 192.168.1.2.

These two actions will ensure that your two pc's are on the same workgroup and that they are on the same IP network.

Last edited:
Right I have been able to change my ip address on my pc without no problems. On my laptop there is two Network connections, one local area network connection and one wireless network connection. The local area network connection is currently disabled at the moment due to the fact that there is no ethernet cable pluged in.

I am not sure if you guys are tallking about doing through the LAN or the the wireless network connection part.. If so I have changed the Wireless Network connection Ip address settings to the ones that you suggested.. Now what? :)

If you actually want me to do it via a ethernet cable plugged directly into the back on the pc machine and then directly into the laptop. Just let me know, also does it matter if it is an Ethernet cable or a crossover Ethernet cable. I have both, but just checking :)

It's easiest if you use your wired connection ad you need the crossover cable.

btw - if you have aleady used any of the IP addresses (like on your wireless you can use any addresses in the form 192.168.1.* where * can be any number from 1 to 254.

Last edited:
Back