Windows 7 How do I create a tcp/ip port in Win 7

mpdsal

I used to be able to do this in XP. I now have Windows 7 Pro. I am trying to add a printer to a local port that is tcp/ip enabled. When I use the add a new printer wizard and select the create new port I don't have a tcp/ip option in the list. Why is that? How can I manually create a tcp/ip port using Win7. Like I said earlier I could do this in XP and wirelessly print to that printer. I want to duplicate that with Win7. Please tell me it can be done.

Thanks

PS I am new to Win 7

Thanks

How to create a tcp/ip port

Hi, Can you tell me if the printer is connected locally to another machine on your network or is it a free standing wireless connection?

Hi, Can you tell me if the printer is connected locally to another machine on your network or is it a free standing wireless connection?

Hi. The printer is connected with a wire to a HP Procurve switch but the machine with Windows 7 is a laptop connecting wirelessly. Now when I had an XP machine I could set up a local connection by creating a tcp/ip port option and assigning the ip address of the printer. Worked like a charm.

Thanks

Mark

Hi. The printer is connected with a wire to a HP Procurve switch but the machine with Windows 7 is a laptop connecting wirelessly. Now when I had an XP machine I could set up a local connection by creating a tcp/ip port option and assigning the ip address of the printer. Worked like a charm.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark, I'm sorry but I couldn't find anything on MSDN or my other usual sources for information about how to do this in Windows 7. I don't know if Windows 7 is too new or if it simply can't be done with this OSbut nobody seems to have anything on this.. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Normally in the Add printer wizard, if you add a network printer, you will be given the option to use an IP address. Go through that and see if it works correctly.

If you are trying to modify a port after installing, make sure you use the Printer Properties half way down the right click menu and not the properties one at the bottom.

Have the printer turned on and plugged into your LAN.

Device and Printers > Add A Printer > Add A Local Printer > Create A New Port > Standard TCP/IP Port

Click Next. Type in the IP Address. Click Next. Voila!

Have the printer turned on and plugged into your LAN.

Device and Printers > Add A Printer > Add A Local Printer > Create A New Port > Standard TCP/IP Port

Click Next. Type in the IP Address. Click Next. Voila!

Zeeman, I wish it was that easy. When I follow your steps there is no option for TCP/IP in my drop down. The only options I have are Local Port, Document Imaging, and Live Meeting Document. I would think it would be available there as well. Do I need to install or turn something on to get that added to the drop down?

Also, I am getting an error when I attempt to add a network printer, this may or may not be related: Cannot Load Wizard pages for
Standard TCP/IP Port

HELP!!

Zeeman, I wish it was that easy. When I follow your steps there is no option for TCP/IP in my drop down. The only options I have are Local Port, Document Imaging, and Live Meeting Document. I would think it would be available there as well. Do I need to install or turn something on to get that added to the drop down?

Also, I am getting an error when I attempt to add a network printer, this may or may not be related: Cannot Load Wizard pages for
Standard TCP/IP Port

HELP!!

There is nothing to install. By default, Windows 7 Pro installs that option. I can only think of 2 reasons that you don't have it.

1. Your pc is on a domain where the domain admins have set a policy that prevents users from adding network printers via the ip address (essentially forcing you to use printer shares). The option is there, but the policy has removed your ability to create it.

2. Your print spooler service isn't running.

Back