Windows 7 how do i drop and drag?

la321

i have files that are out of order and i want to put them back it will not let me drag them i'm in windows explorer

I think the only options you have are to use the right click menu and the View or Sort by or Group options. Keep track of how you have changed the settings in case you need to go back.

Not really sure of the circumstances of your situation. Can you drag a file outside of the current folder?

Just in case, if you right click the start orb, and select properties-start menu-customize, there is a check box for "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping". Maybe that has gotten unselected.

its already selected and i can drag a file outside of the folder but i'm trying to drag within the folder it will not let me

Sorry, but movement within a folder is what my first response was directed to. I don't know of a way to do what you want, if the other options do not help.

The order within your folder is controlled by what you have selected under "View": "Sort By", as Saltgrass said. The only other option is to click the title at the top of the columns (date modified: Size:etc) and reverse the order of the whole contents.

This is one of the things that you could do in XP (& Vista?) that was removed from Seven. Don't know why it was done, but it was.

If I want a specific few folders to be at the top I name them with Alt+160 as the first "letter". It gives a blank space. Which, I will add, can occasionally cause problems if there's an exe file in there. But for piccies, toons etc. it works OK.

Last edited:
The story goes that there are changes in Windows explorer, in Windows 8, so we wait and see. Otherwise my usual resonse to such complaints is - get another explorer!. There are several good, and free ones, available.

Back