Windows 7 How do I get rid of WIN 7 Boot Manager?

atcontrolr

I tried to install WIN 7 to a NEW HD (clean install) since you cannot do a WIN XP upgrade install. I left my old C: drive (WIN XP) hooked up while I installed WIN 7 to the NEW drive. Afterward I decided that my computer is too slow to effectively run WIN 7 so I took the NEW drive out (WIN 7 installation) and intend to put it in a new faster computer.

Now when I try to boot up my old C: drive with WIN XP, I get a WIN 7 Boot Manager. What a PAIN in the A--. How do I get rid of the Boot Manager so my WIN XP will boot up normally?

You can check this Microsoft site for info, but you basically have to change from a Win 7 boot to an NT boot.

So, put the Win 7 install DVD in your drive. Do not boot to it or run it, just load it.
(If you only have a Restore CD, you will need to boot to it, and no need to type the path with the command)

Open a command prompt window.

Type the following command and hit enter after using the drive letter of your DVD:

D:\boot\bootsect /nt52 all

After it finishes you can close the window and try to reboot.

If you have problems, boot to the Install DVD, go to the repair section, command prompt and type:

bootsect /nt60 all

Which will change it back to Win 7.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom