Windows 7 How do i get vista back?

Well if you installed Windows 7 over Vista than you'll have to reinstall Vista over top of Win 7.. assuming you have a copy of Vista... ;) Perhaps you could provide us with a few more details in order for us to help you a little better.. like did you do a dual boot? Did you do a backup of all your personal files before you installed Windows 7? Things like that will help us all get a better idea of what exactly your situation is... ;)

Well if you installed Windows 7 over Vista than you'll have to reinstall Vista over top of Win 7.. assuming you have a copy of Vista... ;) Perhaps you could provide us with a few more details in order for us to help you a little better.. like did you do a dual boot? Did you do a backup of all your personal files before you installed Windows 7? Things like that will help us all get a better idea of what exactly your situation is... ;)

You can't install Vista over 7....

i have no os installation disk. i havent backed up anything but i have a 500gb external hdd so i can if needed. and it replaced vista

You need to get hold of an installation disk one way or another or your stuck with Win7 mate. It wouldve been a good idea to back up your files before you installed the beta but if you did the upgrade they will all still be there. Only thing is it sounds like you have no way of going back to Vista. Before you do anything else Id back up my files now

You can't install Vista over 7....

I ment as in do a clean install of Windows Vista over top of the Windows 7 installation that's already on his hard drive... I didn't mean do an upgrade... (obviously that can't be done) :rolleyes:

You'd likely have to do a format in that case, as I've never seen an OS that will let you install it over a new OS, even as a 'clean' install.

You'd likely have to do a format in that case, as I've never seen an OS that will let you install it over a new OS, even as a 'clean' install.

How can I explain it any clearer Kyle.. the act of formatting is implied when I say "clean install" as in format, then install the OS on an empty drive/parition... ;) I know you can't just install an older OS over top of a new OS without first formatting.. it's impossible... I wasn't saying that you could... :)

There should be a test before allowing someone to download and install a BETA OS.

There was a statement where I downloaded my copy from that made it pretty clear about the risks and so forth of installing a beta. Also said you should be willing to troubleshoot your own problems as there will be no support from Microsoft...

There was a statement where I downloaded my copy from that made it pretty clear about the risks and so forth of installing a beta. Also said you should be willing to troubleshoot your own problems as there will be no support from Microsoft...

Unfortunately there's ALOT of people that just don't ay attention to statements like this and assume that what their installing can be used as their main OS and will automatically just work with everything not taking into consideration that it's BETA software.. NOT finalized software... ;) But they did provide adequate warning to ensure people knew what they were getting into in my opinion.. it's just a shame that Microsoft gets the blame for people's ignorance....

OK Stable doors and horses but learn for next time.

ALWAYS but ALWAYS keep your private data (Music, Video, Pictures, scans, emails, Data base files, address books etc etc) separate from the OS. Always create a separate partition for each OS (you don't need more than a few GB per OS).

That way if you lose the OS and have to restore it you don't lose any data.

In any case BACK UP EVERYTHING and have at least 2 different backups (on different media if possible).

I have a lot of clients photography / contracts / drawings -- so I always keep a copy OFF SITE as well .

You can never have too much backup.

Sod's law will work 100% every time --the one time you didn't backup a file is the one time you will need it.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
OK Stable doors and horses but learn for next time.

ALWAYS but ALWAYS keep your private data (Music, Video, Pictures, scans, emails, Data base files, address books etc etc) separate from the OS. Always create a separate partition for each OS (you don't need more than a few GB per OS).

That way if you lose the OS and have to restore it you don't lose any data.

In any case BACK UP EVERYTHING and have at least 2 different backups (on different media if possible).

I have a lot of clients photography / contracts / drawings -- so I always keep a copy OFF SITE as well .

You can never have too much backup.

Sod's law will work 100% every time --the one time you didn't backup a file is the one time you will need it.

Cheers
jimbo

Very well put Jimbo45.. it IS always a good idea to have multiple backups of all your personal files!! One can never be too careful.. ;) This is something that too many people seem to ignore or simply put off until it's too late... I can't even count how many posts on here and on other forums that are filled with people screaming for help on how to get their files back or that they lost them all because of Windows 7.. etc.. For all the time it takes to back sh!t up.. really.. Personally I create backups every night simply because I download stuff 24/7.. ;) It's just one of those things that everyone should get in the habit of doing.. but I guess for some it may be easier said than done.....

Re: getting vista back

I don't know if this will work but if you upgraded from vistat to windows 7. Windows seven keeps a copy of your vista under C: windows\ it's called windows old. When you reboot your computer, you always get a choice of either windows 7 or prior windows.
I'm not planning on uninstalling windows 7 untill it runs out so I haven't used that choice yet.
All I can tell you is that it's there.
Hope this helps somwhat.

qbnito :rolleyes:

Back