Windows 7 how do I replace the main gateway PC in my home network

pvanc

Extraordinary Member
Hello,
I am replacing my main computer which is connected to router in home network and wonder if all I have to do in put new tower in place of the old and the computer and router will read each and network will be set up.
Thanks

Basically, yes, just swap them out... if, the new machine doesn't make a connection immediately, power cycle the modem & router. Repower the modem 1st, once it locks, power up the router.

Drew

I do not know if ISPs still use this method, but my cable needs a MAC address from the original Network Adapter to work. My router clones that address to fool the system. If you have anything like that, you might want to make note of any information in the current tower, in case you ever need to reset or replace your router.

I suppose you could always call the ISP and change the MAC address if you needed to..

Drew,
You must work 36 hours a day!!!!:redface:
Thanks for your response and instructions.
You know....pvanc

Basically, yes, just swap them out... if, the new machine doesn't make a connection immediately, power cycle the modem & router. Repower the modem 1st, once it locks, power up the router.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom