Windows 8 How do I set the correct resolution for an old monitor connected to my laptop?

alexdr5398

The screen on my Windows 8.1 laptop is broken, so I connected my old monitor to it to use instead. I tried to set the correct resolution by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Screen resolution", but none of the options listed there are correct. Is there a way to manually type which resolution you would like or something that lists every possible resolution?

It is an Acer monitor with a sticker that says "Works with Windows Vista" and the laptop is an HP pavilion.

Hi

I don't think there is any way to make it assume a resolution that it doesn't show.

Mine shows from 1024 by 768 to 1920 by 1080.
A total of 14 different settings.

If you aren't seeing a range like that then you could try updating your video drivers.

What is the recommended resolution for your monitor, and did an install CD come with the monitor?
If it did it might help the computer recognise your monitor.

I know mine identifies my monitor by name.

Mike

Hi

I don't think there is any way to make it assume a resolution that it doesn't show.

Mine shows from 1024 by 768 to 1920 by 1080.
A total of 14 different settings.

If you aren't seeing a range like that then you could try updating your video drivers.

What is the recommended resolution for your monitor, and did an install CD come with the monitor?
If it did it might help the computer recognise your monitor.

I know mine identifies my monitor by name.

Mike

I went to check how many settings mine showed and I noticed that there was a setting that said "Show desktop only on 2". I clicked that and it turned the laptop screen off which then updated the list with the correct resolutions. Thank you for helping me realize that!

Back