How do you balance privacy and security

Axel PC

Honorable Member
For a while now I've been trying to avoid Google and Microsoft services as much as possible. Yet we all know that's not probable if you want to function normally in today's world. Well I've kind of hit a point where the geeky side of me has won over the cautious once bitten twice from the internet twice shy side. And I really enjoyed using Chrome and other social type apps. So my question to the WindowsForum community is, how do you balance your privacy and security online with your geeky side wanting to try everything new and dive into features and give them information?

I'm curious to read what are the different concerns people have and how they handle or mitigate them. And maybe hear some practical advice about today's data-hungry service and how to still enjoy them but not be naive about them.

Thanks!

so what are some of the things that you do to make your security strict?

Big companies have labs, basically testing environments separated from the rest of the network where they "try everything". So, as a geek you should have a production computer and a testing computer. These days it's cheaper to use virtualization. There are many security tutorials online. This is one teaches you for certification

to use Microsoft and Google you need a email and a name... they don't have to be the same email | name you use for other thing so make something up

Buy a good anti virus program.
I find Norton quite good.
It does fall down when I create my own new programs and try to install them on another machine.
I get a false positive and have to white list the program with Norton first.
Its a pain because it takes about 2-3 days to go through the system.
Norton doesn't like new programs until they get a reputation for being OK.

Buy a good anti virus program.
I find Norton quite good.
It does fall down when I create my own new programs and try to install them on another machine.
I get a false positive and have to white list the program with Norton first.
Its a pain because it takes about 2-3 days to go through the system.
Norton doesn't like new programs until they get a reputation for being OK.

I used to use Kaspersky. But dropped it for two reasons.
1. It had a big footprint on your computer. It installs itself everywhere. And adds extra software like a VPN, child protection software, financial/browser software etc. And I don't need or want that. I already have a subscription to a VPN.
2. And all the controversy about them I just rather just jump to another AV that doesn't have the drama. So I moved to Webroot after some forum discussions from @Neemobeer

I used to use Norton back in the Win 95 - XP days. But Norton got severely bloated and their protection was getting worse during that Vista - XP time. And I haven't used them since. It may have gotten better since then I don't know?

Big companies have labs, basically testing environments separated from the rest of the network where they "try everything". So, as a geek you should have a production computer and a testing computer. These days it's cheaper to use virtualization. There are many security tutorials online. This is one teaches you for certification

I don't think you're not a geek if you don't have a production computer and a testing computer.

Back