Windows 10 How to change default folder name

WinFo

I just bought a new laptop. First, it forced me to login through microsoft and that will be how I login to Windows, and forced me to use skype.

Even worse, it forced me to have that "skype" folder. This is bad because this is the place where dropbox and many others are saved by default. I have my main computer whose dropbox is installed in a folder named "Owner". I tried making "Owner" folder manually and changing dropbox location. It doesn't work.

Screenshot_1.png

How I can delink Microsoft account from my Windows? If this is impossible, at least, how can I change that folder name to "Owner" from "skype"?

You're not forced to use a MS login (there was an option to change it at the start) but you may still change your login from a microsoft online login to a local account:

1. Go to Settings, Account, Your account.

2. Click Sign in with a local account instead.

3. Follow the prompts.

You're not forced to use a MS login (there was an option to change it at the start) but you may still change your login from a microsoft online login to a local account:

3. Follow the prompts.
When you first setup a Windows computer you do have the option of using a local account versus an email that is registered with Microsoft, but the link to use a local account is quite a bit less obvious.

You can also switch to a local account, this should give you the option of naming the new account as well.
Ditching a Microsoft account for a local account on Windows 10

Thank you. However, if I choose local account, doesn't that mean I cannot do "Run using administrator privilege" ? So many tasks of so many programs run only using administrator privilege.

Or, is there any other restrictions on local account?

I just switched to the local account using "Owner" as name of account.

However, C:/Users/skype still has these things.
On the other hand, C:/Users/Owner does not have any file.
This is so different from my main PC at my home, which has all these files at C:/Users/Owner by default. How can I really fix it?
Screenshot_2.png

And if I try to copy "skype" folder (just to check if later I can change its folder name to "Owner"), it seems I just can't do that:
Screenshot_4.png

It's most likely using the same local profile when you switched to a local account. You'd have to rename the user profile while logged into a different account since you can't change it while in use.

It's most likely using the same local profile when you switched to a local account. You'd have to rename the user profile while logged into a different account since you can't change it while in use.

I changed my local account's name to "Owner" like this. Is there something else I need to do to change everything as if that was my initial default choice when I first installed Windows?
Screenshot_5.png

The username may have changed but the profile may be the same. If you open a command prompt and just type set and look for userprofile. It may just point to the Skype user directory.

The username may have changed but the profile may be the same. If you open a command prompt and just type set and look for userprofile. It may just point to the Skype user directory.

Yes indeed userprofile directs to skype folder. How can I change that? I want to change this as if I didn't even link my computer with Microsoft in the first place

If you're not to far in to setting things up etc you may find it easiest to do a factory reset ensuring you take care when entering login details that you select local login.

If you're not to far in to setting things up etc you may find it easiest to do a factory reset ensuring you take care when entering login details that you select local login.

OK... I can try. But isn't the computer that didn't go through any factory reset better in some way better (faster, less buggy, etc) than a computer that went through a factory reset before?

When you first setup a Windows computer you do have the option of using a local account versus an email that is registered with Microsoft, but the link to use a local account is quite a bit less obvious.

You can also switch to a local account, this should give you the option of naming the new account as well.

I did factory reset. And it seems what I remember was right. There is no option of not connecting with microsoft account. Maybe you used an older version of Windows? Maybe Microsoft very recently changed something to force users to use their product?

This is what I see.

KakaoTalk_20200210_013551452.jpg

If I click "Learn More", then I see this.

KakaoTalk_20200210_013549664.jpg

It says "If you'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account associated with your device, you can remove it. Finish going through Windows setup, then select the Start Button and go to Settings > Accounts> Your info and select Sign in with a local account instead."

But as I wrote above days ago, that is exactly what I did before I did the factory reset.

I did exactly that, but still, I could not change the folder name.

from
C:/Users/skype
to
C:/Users/Owner
and make this take the role it supposed to have, as if this computer has NEVER been connected to microsoft account.

Changing this folder name is critical because I want to sync dropbox, using the same folder structure as my main computer. (Please see our discussions above for reminder) But it seemed impossible, so that was the whole point of factory reset, as @patcooke suggested me. (Please see our discussions above for reminder)

How can I fix this issue? Tell me if I have to just give up and return this laptop.

3. Follow the prompts.

You said there is an option. What version of Windows do you have? Mine is Windows 10 Home.

Back