Windows 7 How to change display settings ?

Blisset

Hi, I zoomed my display with DPI at 125% (120pixels), but I can't find where fine tuning advanced display settings like in Vista/XP.

For example size of fonts in title bar, icons, message windows, etc.

Where are these settings in Windows 7 ?
Thank you very much

The only way that can be done is if you use Windows Basic or turn off the Themes service, but then you loose all the Aero features and the Start Button reverts to the old square style.

If you'd like to go that route, just post back and I'll run you through the steps.

Hi, I zoomed my display with DPI at 125% (120pixels), but I can't find where fine tuning advanced display settings like in Vista/XP.

For example size of fonts in title bar, icons, message windows, etc.

Where are these settings in Windows 7 ?
Thank you very much

You need to choose Classic Theme from Personalization screen for that kind of look by the way I like to get Fonts inBlue/yellow contrasting colors in Start menu as well as Desktop's Taskbar and Notification Area for my eyes.
  1. Right- click on a blank spot on Desktop
  2. Click Personalize from drop- down context menu
  3. From the box under Change the visuals and sounds on your computer scroll down to Windows Classic and click
  4. Now you will get the familiar dialog box similar to Appearance> Advanced in Windows XP
  5. Make your choices and Apply >OK

Last edited:
The only way that can be done is if you use Windows Basic or turn off the Themes service, but then you loose all the Aero features and the Start Button reverts to the old square style.

If you'd like to go that route, just post back and I'll run you through the steps.

This seems incorrect to me. You do not need to disable Aero to fine-tune icons and system font sizes.

Go to Display > Personalization > Window Color (In Aero, this is the little, colored, square icon between "Desktop Background" and "Sounds.") > Advanced Appearance Settings...

This will give you the traditional display settings adjustment window that you (and I) are used to and love. Personally, I also went this route. I hate that the DPI switcher makes my high resolution look fuzzy everywhere... I mean, what's the point of having a high resolution if your screen doesn't look, well, high res?

Keep in mind, however, that other text sizes, like the size of the text in your browser's tabbies, will not change. It also doesn't seem to work too well when you adjust button size or scrollbar. I recommend using a combination of DPI switcher and custom settings if you need those fonts to be larger too... or maybe someone has developed a plugin for that on whatever browser you use.

Cheers

This seems incorrect to me. You do not need to disable Aero to fine-tune icons and system font sizes.
You also revived a thread that was discussing Windows 7 Beta. May of 2009 was almost three and a half years ago. To be honest I don't remember what was possible during the Windows 7 Beta era.

Back