how to check for damage after firewall has been switched off

I have windows 7 family version. My laptop is an ASUS K52F. I use MSE. For some reason, my firewall protection has been switched off. I don't know how long it's been off. Recently, I've started getting intrusive chinese pop ups when I open my firefox browser. I get emails from paypal saying someone is trying to access my account. I live in China and have to use internet for banking.
Can I be sure that I am clean of any bads things?
I'd appreciate some help in verifying if I'm safe.
Thank you
machanrahan

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Just download and run Malwarebytes.
If it comes up clean then there is a 99% chance you are good.

It isn't really likely that you picked up something just because your fire wall was off for a while, but it could happen so it's better to check.

Download here....

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

If you don't already use it I would suggest that you also download and install CCleaner, I would guess that virtually everyone on this forum uses it.

I run it once a day.

CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Mike

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to help me. I will do as you suggest.
peter

I did what was suggested using malware and ccleaner. Malware found 1 element. and ccleaner found lots and lots of things. I cleaned it then did the malware. Did cleaner again and it found another load of stuff!! Is that normal? I also now have about 20Giga more space on my hard drive!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
If you have never run CCleaner you can find many Gigabytes of junk that Windows leaves behind when it does anything.

If you now run it once a day it will keep your computer nice and clean.

I make it a habit to run it last thing before I shut down every day.

I update and run Malwarebytes every 3 or 4 days.

Mike

whs

Extraordinary Member
Malwarebytes and CCleaner are good programs. But you may also want to run SuperAntiSpyware that often finds additional stuff.

OK. Got it! Thank you very much for your time Mike.
best wishes
peter

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.