Windows 7 How to clear uninstalled programs from Notification List?

That is what the EXE does automagically without all the steps you just posted. Literally takes less than 10 seconds, more like 7 sec and it's done.

Although I don't know what the traynotify.jpg and confirmation.jpg are for, but it is unessacary text that can confuse some people.

Hello dave,

I did all your steps previously except the most important #9.

This should be classified as a "true" bug.

Do you have any knowledge that Microsoft is aware of this issue?

They are aware. It has been discussed for some time on TEchnet and more recently on an open internet conference. They do not, however, seem to be doing much about it.

I have been fortunate enough in recent days, to have access and use of what is about a 99% version of the final RTM. It still has the bug and I have sent a strongly worded feedback on it, as I am sure, have others.

Of course, the thing to keep in mind is that you can switch off (hide) the notifications, and they are not using resources. But that is not the point - it is an "unclean" feature

My fix is similar or near exact, so I won't include it. This is a bug, in my opinion, and hope it gets fixed in the RTM

But that is not the point - it is an "unclean" feature

Those are my exact sentiments also.:)

I had about 7 or 8 invalid entries

If it's not fixed, over time, we could be talking 50 to 100 invalid entries for people like me how love to tryout new software.

That is what the EXE does automagically without all the steps you just posted. Literally takes less than 10 seconds, more like 7 sec and it's done.

Although I don't know what the traynotify.jpg and confirmation.jpg are for, but it is unessacary text that can confuse some people.

It was copied from my own notes, which included pictures. I have edited the picture references out. I think I was posting whilst one of your own posts was being put up.

I am also aware that reghakr likes to mess with the registry (like myself) so would be interested in the manual procedure.

I apologise for trying to help in a thread which, at that stage, appeared (to me) to be a little wandering.

Fwiw. I take no credit for the procedure. It is well publicised as a fix for Windows 7, both as a manual reg alteration and a .reg hack.

I understand, and I appologize, my posts come across as harsh sometimes.
It is not meant to be. I just don't sugarcoat my posts. I am not trying to degrade anyone.

And I also see it as a minor bug.

I am not sure how they would fix it. The reason is, if I have a program that I run that pops to the systray, but is not an autostart at logon app. Then everytime it is removed from the systray, your custom settings would also be removed, making you have to re-customize it everytime. If they try to add it as a seperate reg entry, the registry will get fragged with bogus data, unless the Windows Installer would know to remove that entry at uninstall, or windows just creates it during install under the user regkey of the app itself. But I don't know the Windows installer at all, so I don't know (wouldn't think) this would be a normal function of it, by design.
But what about apps that don't have a true/full installer, those reg entries stay there a lot of times, (ie. portable apps), i think that is another discussion altogether though.

Ideally, all I can think of is, build it into every app as an option, or have it be an ini or inf type config file that is added by windows when the app runs for the first time, in the folder of the app itself, so it is removed with the app at uninstall. Or you would have a folder wasting space (albeit very minimal space) but over years that could grow (ie. prefetch), (although again, 1T+ drives it would be minimal as they would be about 1K in size). There isn't a perfect solution I don't think.

P.S. I don't take credit for the fix either, I found it elsewhere and on MS KB Article which I posted in an earlier post.

Thankyou, Tepid. Your very graceful apology is accepted. I am afraid I have the same instinct. When dealing with repetitive requests for help on the same subject, I tend to get a little testy - lol.
Back to the thread. I suggested that if it could not be fixed, perhaps it could be included in the Disk Cleanup. But I feel that is only a compromise - not a solution.

Yeah, cause disk cleanup would ahve to scan the entire drive for apps Maybe even seperate and extended drives, to see that the app still exists and if not, remove it, or again, add a regkey to tell cleanup where it is,,, hmmmm

If, the Notification tray regkey entry were dropped to it's own key (as it is not now), and given a date/time, last used stamp, like Add/Remove Programs list, cleanup could do it by anything not used since a specific date (customizable), kill the key, entry gone. Fixed

Anything you may only use every so often will have to be recustomized, but...

Or just give us a way to remove the entry, right click delete.

Oh BTW, the fix that we have posted, that we have now. Removes all entries, so anyone who uses it will have to go back in and recustomize your regualrly used entries when you run this fix. I need to update my script/app.

Tepid,

Regarding left over files and registry entries

I use a three step method when installing./uninstalling programs to help prevent leftover entries.

First I capture and record all files and folder created and all registry entries added and/or modified using [URL=http://majorgeeks.com/RegShot_d965.html]Regshot 1.82[/URL]

I test the program and if I have no use for it, I use Revo Uninstaller to remove addition left over files and registry entries that the original uninstaller did not remove.

I go even further by using RegSeeker 1.55

You need to be careful with this app and look over all entries before removing them. It does create a backup file however. I search for company name and/or program name to get rid of yet more entries that Revo didn't catch. I usually find that there is a registry entry left over under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. Shareware program most always leave a cryptic entry behind, so when you try to re-install the app, it says your time period is up. this is the most useful feature of Regshot.

Back
Top Bottom