Windows 7 How to Delete a folder from C Drive and Should I delete it

JerryDal2

I installed Windows 7 on a clean hard drive with only one user account and password. After installing McAfee, the Windows password was not recognized, and all I could do was reinstall Windows and I did this without assigning a password. I could not solve the problem in Safe Mode.
I see a folder called c:\Windows.old, and the properties show it takes 15 gigabytes. I tried deleting this folder by putting a shortcut to explore.exe on the desktop and running as administrator, but it runs to a point and then says I don't have permission.
I assume this folder exists because I had to reinstall Windows.
Any suggestions?
Jerry

The folder exists because you reinstalled windows without formatting the partition first...

About the only way to get rid of it is to do another clean install... but this time, use the setup's built in drive formatter.

Thank you for your quick reply and explaining about my Windows install keeping an old Windows folder, sub-folders, and files on the hard drive. I found that I could delete the Windows.old folder by changing my User Account settings to "Never Notify". Everything under the Windows.old folder got deleted except one McAfee file. I was able to delete that file in Safe Mode.
RESOLVED
Jerry

Last edited:
Very good... not the optimal way, but done nonetheless.

Now comes the fun... You need to confirm that everything is still working as expected.
The Windows.old folder should be inert... but it still bears watching.

Also, you should defrag the drive asap, 'cause I'm betting that made a real mess.

Re: Curiously

I had to mark your thread as "Like", Ted. It surprises me how many different answers come up, whenever this question is asked. The optimal answer being the one in your link - so easy.

Last edited:

Jerry,

Ok, the (normalacy) of windows.old has been explained BUT, I must suggest the following...

Get rid of MacAfee & replace w/ MSE Link Removed due to 404 Error

Cheers,
Drew

Thank you Dave. I have also tried various methods to delete this folder, after getting everything I need out of it of course. The MS method makes it so easy.

I'd just do it in DOS, from my DOS Utilities disk.
NO file or folder is safe from DOS. It's a cold-hearted Killer!

:thumbs_up:

Hi

I second Drew's comment, get rid of McAfee, run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

And I use my Ubuntu disk for stuff like this.

Mike

For some reason I could not edit my previous post, so. Just noticed how old the original is. I guess, by now, most users are aware of the solutions.

Back