Windows 7 How to enforce new computer in network to connect to master browser service?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Assume I have a local network with no DNS server.
All computer are managed by the network master browser service which runs on one of the connected
computers.

Now when I connect my notebook through Wifi to this network it takes up to 10 or even 15 minutes until this new node is known to the network master browser service.

This is too long.
Folder shares on other computers are not visible until a full node registration.

1.) How can I tell to my notebook to broadcast and search for master browser service an speed up
registration in master browser service?

Is there a cmdline command or tool for that?

2.) How can I tell the computer with the master browser service to broadcast and search for new computers to speed up registration?

Peter

I think you mean master browser server, but anyways once a new system joins it should broadcast immediately then it ramps up 4 then 8 then consistent at 12 minute internals. You can lower that interval by changing the value for Announce at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters and reboot each system. The value is in seconds.

Back