Windows 7 How to find the folder "found" on external hard drive?

iNeedHelpPlz

I had a power outage yesterday while watching a video from my external hard drive. Decided to scan the hard drive using windows and it said some issues were found or corrupt. and it moved it to folder "found" I can't find this folder at all. I have already gone to folder options and unchecked the hide system files and check to view hidden files, but still i can't find this folder, can anyone help? please

Hello iNeedHelpPlz,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Where have you looked? This will avoid any suggestions where you have already searched.

Don

If they are repaired files look in the root directory for files with a .chk extension. If they are repaired folders look in the root directory for folder with a .nnn (.000, .001) extension.
Chkdsk saves each repaired file in the root folder as a File<nnnn>.chk file, and each repaired folder in the root folder as a Found.<nnn> folder, where <n> is a number.
SOURCE: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks! Hope you guys can help.

I have looked at my external hard drive, using the search on the right corner. Looking for .chk .nnn and found.000

I'm sorry if I didn't provide the correct information you was looking for and thats why you are not replying. So I'm going to explain myself again, in the hopes you can give me a solution to my problem...

I forgot to mention, by "I scanned it" I meant i used Error Checking and clicked both of the options. (Don't know if this was a good idea or not) because I worried that the files from my External HDD were damaged due to the unexpected shut down of my computer in the middle of a movie. I have used this "Error Checking" before but everything was good and windows never found a problem. But like i said before, this time it was different, some files were damaged and windows has moved it to the "Found" Folder.

I have already unchecked the "hide protected system files" and checked " show hidden files" on the folder options but I still can't find it. What can I do to view this "found" folder and see what files were damaged. Please help, thank you.

Hello iNeedHelpPlz,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Where have you looked? This will avoid any suggestions where you have already searched.

Don

The "Found" folders/files are where Trouble had mentioned, (post #3), in the Root Directory.
If it's not showing them, you can try opening a "Command Prompt", run as Administrator, type in "cmd" in the search box and hit enter, with cmd open, at the blinking cursor, type "dir c:\" and hit enter.

Let us know how it goes
Don

The "Found" folders/files are where Trouble had mentioned, (post #3), in the Root Directory.
If it's not showing them, you can try opening a "Command Prompt", run as Administrator, type in "cmd" in the search box and hit enter, with cmd open, at the blinking cursor, type "dir c:\" and hit enter.

Let us know how it goes
Don

Okay so is not in the root directory, either on the external or the on the C:

Okay so after typing "dir c:\" and hitting enter, what am I stop to do next? Am I suppose to find the "found" folder in one of those results cause I don't. Here is what I got

4 PM <DIR> 3bf972c28d5e79cb308565d
0 PM <DIR> 528f4d1da5723531db15ad
2 PM 24 autoexec.bat
3 AM <DIR> book
2 PM 10 config.sys
3 AM <DIR> Intel
7 PM <DIR> PerfLogs
2 PM <DIR> Program Files
2 AM 2,167 RHDSetup.log
3 AM <DIR> Users
9 PM <DIR> Windows
3 File(s) 2,201 bytes
8 Dir(s) 206,711,349,248 bytes free

I have a question, shouldn't i be looking in the D:? shouldn't the "FOUND" folder be there since thats where the corrupt or "damaged" files were found. Or does windows automatically send it to a "found" folder located on my C:? and what should i do next to find this "found" folder?

I would assume a video file is fairly large. If you know about how large, that is great.

But try opening Explorer, and selecting Computer. Then go to the search box and type size:>1000000000 Which should find anything on your system larger than 1 GB. If it isn't that large, take off a 0 or two.

It is probably a minor point, but is it the Video you are looking for or just whatever was put in the "found" folder? Is there any chance nothing was put in the found folder, it just gave you the message?

But you should be able to do a search in the same way for *.chk files.... You may want to check the search settings to see if any settings, like non-indexed locations might be included.

I would assume a video file is fairly large. If you know about how large, that is great.

But try opening Explorer, and selecting Computer. Then go to the search box and type size:>1000000000 Which should find anything on your system larger than 1 GB. If it isn't that large, take off a 0 or two.

It is probably a minor point, but is it the Video you are looking for or just whatever was put in the "found" folder? Is there any chance nothing was put in the found folder, it just gave you the message?

But you should be able to do a search in the same way for *.chk files.... You may want to check the search settings to see if any settings, like non-indexed locations might be included.

I don't know what was put in that "found" folder since I have a lot of files in my External HDD so yea, I'm looking for what ever was put in there. As to nothing being put in their, I'm not sure, I mean the message did pop up saying some corrupt files were placed in that "FOUND" folder so shouldn't that be the case? The thing that bothers me the most is that I can NOT find this folder. I already did the whole cmd thing, don't know what I'm suppose to do after that, I'm just lost now...

I still have one question unanswered, if the suppose corrupt files came from my external HDD doesn't that mean is suppose to be in that HDD and not the (C:)

Or is it that windows sends it to a Found folder on the (C:) ????

Last edited:
Back