Windows 7 How to fix Windows 7 Blue screen with ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll?

Hallaj85

Hi guys,

I have been getting the BSOD for the past couple of days with no clear patterns, some times the system is fine for couple of hours but sometimes it crashes several times during 5-10 minutes.

I have updated all drivers I could think of and even installed a clean windows but no use.

I would appreciate if anybody could guide me in the right direction as why this is happening/how to fix it.

Here are some info about my system and I also used SF Diagnostic Tool found on the forum to pack dmp files and attach them here.

Best Regards
Hallaj

Dell inspiron 6400
Cpu: Intel Core Duo - T2250 1.73GHz
RAM: 2 GB Kensigton
Motherboard: MM061
Graphic: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    713.2 KB · Views: 888
Hi there and welcome. Wow, you are having bsods for sure there lol. They're the unfortunate type too, 0x124 hardware stops. Not to worry, you have me on your side here. :)

I'm in a bit of a predicament because I can't see most of your drivers due how it is crashing so abruptly. I am betting you have the memory set unwell in the bios.

Please post a screen shot of CPU-Z spd tab and another of the memory tab.

Also, delete this driver at C:\Windows\System32\drivers and reboot:

spqp.sys

Last edited:
[langtitle=pt]Re: How to fix Windows 7 Blue screen with ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll?[/langtitle]

Outdated drivers (from the drivers list inclosed in the zip), do your best to update them:

Code:
rimmptsk     rimmptsk               Kernel        15/11/2006 08:16:23   
rimsptsk     rimsptsk               Kernel        15/11/2006 03:42:45   
rismxdp      Ricoh xD-Picture Card  Kernel        15/11/2006 

nfrd960      nfrd960                Kernel        06/06/2006 

mdmxsdk      mdmxsdk                Kernel        06/10/2005 

iirsp        iirsp                  Kernel        13/12/2005

HSXHWAZL     HSXHWAZL               Kernel        02/12/2005

BrFiltUp     Brother USB Mass-Stora Kernel        06/08/2006 22:33:45   
Brserid      Brother MFC Serial Por Kernel        06/08/2006 22:33:50   
BrSerWdm     Brother WDM Serial dri Kernel        06/08/2006 22:33:44   
BrUsbMdm     Brother MFC USB Fax On Kernel        06/08/2006 22:33:43   
BrUsbSer     Brother MFC USB Serial Kernel        09/08/2006

bcm4sbxp     Broadcom 440x 10/100 I Kernel        21/11/2006

atikmdag     atikmdag               Kernel        15/03/2007

arc          arc                    Kernel        24/05/2007

adp94xx      adp94xx                Kernel        05/12/2008 23:59:55   
adpahci      adpahci                Kernel        01/05/2007

Last edited:
Re: [langtitle=pt]Re: How to fix Windows 7 Blue screen with ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll?[/langtitle]

Thanks for the help guys.

I will be home in couple of hours and will then be able to test all this and post back the outcome.

Regards
Hallaj

@TorrentG:
Here are the CPU-Z screenshots. I would appriciate if you could take a look at them.
I also deleted the spqp.sys file, can you tell me what it was?
You mentioned something about the memory set unwell in the bios, is that something I can check/fix?
Thanks in advance
Hallaj
View attachment CPU-Z.zip

Your spd tab is blank for some reason so there is no way to tell if it's right or not, but you should go in the bios and Load the Optimized Defaults then save.

My bad TorrentG. Seems for some reason slot one is blank and slot two has the data. So here is the new spd screenshot attached.

Can you please tell me a bit more about Load the Optimized Defaults as I can't find it in the Bios? What does it do/which hardware is it related to and under which section of Bios should I look for it?

Attachments

• spd.png
    spd.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,323
Your memory is definitely underclocked and set too slow in the bios.

Load Optimized Defaults should be on the first screen of the bios. If not, look for Default Settings or Failsafe settings. Set that and save. Post a new memory tab screen shot.

I see, I'll look in the bios to see if there is any way to change that and at the same time I'll look to see if i can find the Load Optimized Defaults. Thanks.

I Did find a field called Load Defaults in bios which was set to off. Strangely enough I couldn't set it to enabled, I tried several times but on the next restart when I checked the bios it was off again.

I did also have one memory page/tab but it's read only. Do I have any other way to overclock or un-underclock the ram?

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 2,473
Hit enter on that screen while the Continue button is highlighted. Save.

If you can't do that, consult the motherboard manual for how to set the memory to default automatic settings.

Re: [langtitle=pt]Re: How to fix Windows 7 Blue screen with ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll?[/langtitle]

Thanks @cybercore. Is there anyway I can find out what driver these are (apart from the obvious Broadcom) and where to find the update for them? I have searched a bit on google, but can find much ese than they are windows system files.

@cybercore: also I ran the prime 95 yesterday, the core temps was 73 and 75 at highest, but i couldn't run it for more than 30-40 min because my laptop rebooted all the time.

About the recommended troubleshooting steps, I have already done a lot of them, i.e. reinstall vanilla windows, remove extra ;) hardware, cleaning inside the case etc. But there was couple of points in there which I'll try later today.

One thing that worries me a bit is if this whole thing is just because of overheat, but then I have no way to really test and confirm this. I have removed the dvd-drive and card reader from both sides in hope of better ventilation. i have also opened the sides of the laptop. Sometimes I feel like it's helping but it can be my imagination. And beside that it sometimes just does a reboot minutes after I have turned it on while I only have a browser open, so not sure. Any suggestion there?

Interestingly, after the last reboot none of the browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Opera) will open on my laptop.The only browser that still works is IE. Does that say anything about the cause of the problem?

Interestingly, after the last reboot none of the browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Opera) will open on my laptop.The only browser that still works is IE. Does that say anything about the cause of the problem?

No. Please post a new memory tab screen shot for how it is now.

73-75 degrees might be too high. I'd open up the unit and clean out the fan/heat sink.

I have cleaned the inside. Couldn't change those value in the bios so have now contacted the manufacturer as well. Here is a screenshot of the memory tab again, but i think it hasn't changed. Sorry for the delay btw.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 958
Back
Top Bottom