Windows 7 How to get my CanoScan D1250U2F scanner working in Windows 7 inc running virtual XP Pro

RoddyJones

Hi

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, I can get Windows 7 Professional.

I have an older machine, just retired with XP Pro.

My hardly used Cannon 'Canoscan D1250U2F' scanner worked on XP Pro.

Bought a new machine , installed Windows 7 Home Premium and could not find any 64 bit drivers.

Installed VMWARE and used it to install my own XP Pro installation as per the link

Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista - How-To Geek

got XP working in virtual mode. great.

Connect cannon scanner, it detects a new plug and play but will not seem to install the Scan Gear CSU TWAIN driver, the Wizard when pointed to the CD or the downloaded TWAIN driver I obtained from the Canon USA link

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : CanoScan D1250U2F

The XP Pro Hardware Update Wizard says ' The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

any suggestions? on how to get this damn scanner working?

Solution

How to get the Canon 'Canoscan D1250U2F' scanner working on 64bit Windows 7 operating systems.

If Windows 7 Home Premium

1 - Give up trying to find 64bit drivers and run a virtual machine on your Windows 7 that runs Windows XP.

Easy to follow guide below

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/

2 - Have at least service pack 1 installed on your XP Pro virtual machine install!

that was the only reason i was getting the error messages above. Note: if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can use the XP Mode from Microsoft which apparently comes installed at SP3 level - i did not do this.

3- Have your old Canon CD at hand or obtain Scangear CSU and the TWAIN driver here

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...n_series/canoscan_d1250u2f#DriversAndSoftware

4 - Follow the Canon QuickStart Guide for XP

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0900003592/01/D1250U2Fquickstartguide-e.pdf

or below

Windows XP Professional / Home Edition
1. Turn the computer on.
2. “Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard”
will appear.
Confirm that “Install the software automatically
(Recommended)” is selected.
3. Place the CanoScan Setup Utility CD-ROM in the
drive.
The driver will begin to install.
4. When “Completing the Found New Hardware
Wizard” appears, click [Finish].

5 - Install desired Canon CD software - which for me was just the ScanGear Toolbox 3.1 (i set it to open a paint program upon scanning)

Restart whenever told.
Might have to replug the power cable of scanner in and out again

Load ScanGear Toolbox 3.1 or Press the scanners buttons and you are away again !

Last edited:
Good work. Glad you managed to resolve your issue. As I have had similar problems with an older HP Scanner I was just about to reply when I noticed your subsequent post and soloution. Probably the reason I didn't have the same issue was because I automatically service pack my VMs after getting them up and running. Good catch.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy, so I take it you use VMWARE with your own XP installation disk to setup a Virtual XP machine?

I ask because I realise the other option is to go with Windows 7 Pro and above (Ultimate) and use the Microsoft combo of Virtual PC and 'XP Mode' however reading around it appears the first option is less hassle especially for laymen like me.

PS. Do you just hit XP with the SP3? i only put SP1 on. Where can I obtain SP3 for a personal computer in a separate download that I can then store on my usb rather then bother with Windows Update type scenarios?

This link looks suitable except that they say its NOT for single use computers. Does it really matter though?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Half answer myself again,

According to here, single personal use users can use that link

XP - How can I manually install Service Pack 3? - Microsoft Answers
Answer You can download that version - it's also for single computers.
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
(Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Yes that download should be fine to install SP3 on your XP Pro VM install. You will have several additional patches and hotfixes to install subsequently Dot Net Framework, etc.,.
Yes I do quite a bit with Virtual Machines so I actually broke down and purchased VMware Workstation a few months back but before I had tried VMware player, Virtual Box, XP Mode as well as Virtual PC and Virtual Server from Microsoft back in 2007. Microsoft's offerings seem to fall a little short in supporting attached USB devices if they are not supported by the Host OS, (Windows 7 in your case), but both VMware and Virtual Box (free editions) seem to handled them a little better.
If you are going to use your VM quite a bit, it's probably a good idea to max it out with available updates. I even install Link Removed due to 404 Error on mine just for my own peace of mind.
Good luck
Randy

Yes that download should be fine to install SP3 on your XP Pro VM install. You will have several additional patches and hotfixes to install subsequently Dot Net Framework, etc.,.
Yes I do quite a bit with Virtual Machines so I actually broke down and purchased VMware Workstation a few months back but before I had tried VMware player, Virtual Box, XP Mode as well as Virtual PC and Virtual Server from Microsoft back in 2007. Microsoft's offerings seem to fall a little short in supporting attached USB devices if they are not supported by the Host OS, (Windows 7 in your case), but both VMware and Virtual Box (free editions) seem to handled them a little better.
If you are going to use your VM quite a bit, it's probably a good idea to max it out with available updates. I even install Link Removed due to 404 Error on mine just for my own peace of mind.
Good luck
Randy

Hi Randy, for my purposes the free version of VMware seems to suffice for now, but based on your trying out the XP Mode as well as Virtual PC from Microsoft do you believe the VMWare application is overall a better option? are there examples of 'XP Mode' not recognising older USB devices?

I ask as I was thinking of moving to Windows 7 Professional just so I can access XP Mode which you can not install on Windows 7 Home Premium. I mainly see myself only loading the VMWare program to run old devices such as scanners and other items rather then needing it to run older games or business software. Games and software I obtain newer versions for like Office 2007 that can run on Windows 7 OS's.

I think you're fine, right where you're at. The only benefit that some folks might appreciate from XP Mode is that you get a full version of XP as part of the product, so that's kinda nice for people who do not have an alternate license source.
I believe that VMware is at the top of the heap when it comes to virtualization solutions and their free version is likewise the best of the free options (just my opinion).
I will leave the decision regarding upgrading to Win7 Pro from Home Premium up to you there are a few other small perks in 7 Pro that are not available in Home Premium and you'll have to decide if it's worth it for you.
Cnet has a nice neat chart with some of the features listed Which Windows 7 is right for you? | Windows 7 Insider - CNET Reviews
But there are other more subtle difference that you may want or need or not care about like;
some of the additional management consoles, gpedit.msc, secpol.msc, lusrmgr.msc, etc.,

If you do a search on this forum using the built in search utility or the new apture feature for vuescan you can find plenty references to it and I believe a member named MikeHawthorne has some personal experience with it and if I remember correctly does endorse it as a solution with some scanners and Windows7 (although I might be wrong about that).
You might try sending him a visitor or private message if you are looking for more information regarding the product.

Back
Top Bottom