Windows 7 How to Get Rid of Trovi?

wilhelm1

Looks like I have another problem. Take a little time off and "surprise, surprise." It is annoying and as long as it does no damage, I guess I could live with it if I have to.

Before I start, please take note of the followings.......
1. When you find a program in the web and you want to install it, come back here or any reputable forums and find out if the program is safe first.
2. When you download a program, make sure you go to its manufacturer website and download there.
ex....... Malwarebytes, go to Malwarebytes website, Ccleaner, go to Piriform website, Microsoft Security Essentials, go to Microsoft website. etc etc etc.
3.Once you start installing, pay attention to the screen. Don't just click Next, Next, Install etc.
Some programs during install will offer "other" programs for free. DON'T take them. Use the Decline or Skip option to proceed. Install ONLY the one you want.

Back to Trovi.
It is a browser hijacker. Please read this and use the removal guide.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/trovi-removal/

NOTE : personally, I think the guide is a bit overkill. Some will say never too much or too careful. It's your choice.
Personally, I would use Step 1, Step 2 and Step 4.
Step 2 includes several browsers. Select the one applicable to you.
Step 4 is running Malwarebytes. It will ask you o do an update first, please do so. Then run the scan.

Last edited:
First of all, I don't think I downloaded any websites to cause this, that I know of. Believe me this is the first time I have ever been caught up in one of these hyjackings. I have Malwarebytes, Microsoft Essentials and Avast as I have been using for years.

A fact is, more and more trouble come as various additions - you may buy a legitimate program legitimately, but suddenly you notice you have something extra. One of this Forum's most distinguished members told how he got extras, while being very careful in upgrading a browser. Can't remember who it was, and I don't want to guess about names.

Trovi you can get of quite easily, http://info.trovi.com/Uninstall

But I wouldn't be sure that one is your problem. Through Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Del you can see what's eating your CPU or memory. There may be another boogie?

Update: Now I have a laptop that has taken total control of what is normally at the top of my screen. I am on my desktop
because all is shot. Will have to do a complete re-install. The only thing I can see and use is the "gear" symbol.

New update, I have a black screen with a white arrow. Running very slow and I did see a msg that said "Disk read error", even though there was no disk in the reader So my next move is to try and do the re-install later today. So far I was not able to get anything to happen when I pressed F2, 0, F12 or F8

Later: I am in a part where Win has been looking for errors and now it is making repairs. Said will take about 1 hour.

Last edited:
Okay, I started all over. Deleted Hard Drive, Installing Win7 64 Bit iso. I have 5 disks that the computer requested I install when the LT was new. It should be the backup. How do I get the LT to read them and install them. The only one that I can get to install is the 5th which contains the Apps.. Is there a way to install all of them at once instead of having to do them one at a time??? Referring to 5th disk. Would like to get the other 4 to install also.

All right, OS is in, product key was accepted, what's next?

Last edited:
I'll fill in the 'missing links" and let the experts take over...............
1. The Op, has a Toshiba Satellite Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop which does not work.
2. A friend of his took it and "fixed" it. The OP took it home and found out the os was Win 7 Pro 32-bit instead.
3. The os was not activated and the OP received warning to activate, but the OP does not have the Win 7 Pro product key to activate.
4. The OP, since then tried to reinstall Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
5. I gave the OP links to download the Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 ISO, tutorial to burn iso to bootable dvd, and tutorial of how to clean install.
6. Meanwhile the OP ordered a set of Recovery Disks.
That is the long and short story.

My problem with the OP's latest post .......
Those 5 disks sound like the recovery disks.
But using recovery disks does not require product key, unless Toshiba does things differently. Does not make sense to me.

That is all I have to offer, and I am out.

Yep those disks (5) are labeled by me as Recovery disk 1 thru 5. Apparently, I did not make copies of the system in the beginning.
Right now I have a system with no programs on it. I am going to leave it as it is. Will not mention or ask for more help. I am out of
here Thanks guys. Not worth the pain. Maybe some other time.

Back
Top Bottom